Why does God want us to have faith? Would it not be easier to just give us proof?

The way that I learned Christianity is God loves us all and wants us to go to heaven however the only way to get to heaven is by accepting Jesus Christ as a savior and while God could prove this to you he won't because you need to have faith. And I wonder to myself, why? Why not leave evidence for Jesus and a... show more The way that I learned Christianity is God loves us all and wants us to go to heaven however the only way to get to heaven is by accepting Jesus Christ as a savior and while God could prove this to you he won't because you need to have faith. And I wonder to myself, why? Why not leave evidence for Jesus and a lot of the Old Testament? Because all evidence suggests the Jesus of the Bible never existed, a charismatic Jewish spiritual leader did live in Palestine at that time but he doesn't quite match up with Jesus. Why is his inspired word so self contradictory? A Christian friend of mine said that God made the Bible self contradictory on purpose so that someone who doesn't want to believe will have an excuse not to believe, do you agree? Tell me, if your God is true why doesn't he just prove himself? I know, I know we are supposed to have faith, but why? Why is faith his prerequisite? Please don't just quote Bible verses at me, give me your reasoning on why this would be and if you just don't know or can't come up with any reason why he would do this then say so.

The black atheist has spoken.
Update: JIM: I wasn't here for the birth of this world, but neither were you so if the principle is that if you weren't there then you can't speak on it then where do you get the gall to call Christianity the truth? You weren't there. Neither were the Hebrews who wrote the Bible.There is far more proof for the existence of... show more JIM: I wasn't here for the birth of this world, but neither were you so if the principle is that if you weren't there then you can't speak on it then where do you get the gall to call Christianity the truth? You weren't there. Neither were the Hebrews who wrote the Bible.There is far more proof for the existence of George Washington than there is for Jesus Christ, the only records of anything close to the Jesus story were written decades after his death and were second hand stories, this is not so for Washington. The Earth is not in the "perfect spot" the fact there is quite a bit of wiggle room for the Earth's placement from the sun that still can sustain life, as for the stuff about gravity and DNA got take a high school science class kid. The Bible has plenty of contradictions, Luke and Matthew disagree on how many generations separated David and Jesus, there are multiple different tellings of the Jesus and Genesis stories, there are more but I've made my point. Regardless you have
Update 2: JIM: Compare Matthew 1:1-16 and Luke 3:23-28, if the Bible is the true inspired word of God it should be completely true and completely consistent, which it is not. If Jesus and the Bible give you the authority to say what did and didn't happen and anyone questioning it is in the wrong then tell me why do you... show more JIM: Compare Matthew 1:1-16 and Luke 3:23-28, if the Bible is the true inspired word of God it should be completely true and completely consistent, which it is not. If Jesus and the Bible give you the authority to say what did and didn't happen and anyone questioning it is in the wrong then tell me why do you believe it is true? If you can't question and think critically about it then how do you think it is right, you must have reason for doing so? Is it because you believe that God sacrificed his only begotten son for your sins? If so then why do you believe this? I could easily say that I sacrificed my son to have all your wrongs forgiven and the gravity of this supposed sacrifice means my words shouldn't ever be doubted, does this mean what I say is true or you should actually believe it? If there were a government or anything else besides religion that told you to never question just obey would you follow it so mindlessly? If not then why should religion be an exception? Also, I wo