Why did Emperor Julian (Roman Empire) fail to rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem?

Emperor Julian of the Roman Empire tried to reestablish the pagan system of worship in Rome (after Christianity had become the official religion), including rebuilding the Temple. It says he did this to prove the Bible wrong. How do you feel about this, and is there an official reason why he tried twice to build... show more Emperor Julian of the Roman Empire tried to reestablish the pagan system of worship in Rome (after Christianity had become the official religion), including rebuilding the Temple. It says he did this to prove the Bible wrong. How do you feel about this, and is there an official reason why he tried twice to build it and fail both times?
Update: Thanks Scooter. It isn't everyday someone disrespects their forefathers. I hope when the baby in that picture turns 50 years old, he doesn't feel the same about you!
Update 2: Sorry, Chris. I got that from the "Famous Men of Rome" by John Haaron and A.B. Poland. I have the audio version of it, but it came from the chapter on the Fall of the Western Empire.
Update 3: Yeah, I don't think he really understood too much about Christianity. The chapter almost hints that he may have thought he could somehow prove Jesus wrong when he said not one stone would be left... Strange thing is...it had already happened under Titus. So, I am puzzled as to his motive for this.