How to find a prom dress without breaking my bank doing so?

Basically, I'm not rich - I have a job that pays $9 an hour, and I work 30 hours a week, but I'm going to college and my family can't afford to help me out too much. So where/how can I find a prom dress that won't take months to save up for?? I'd love for the dress to be under $200 - however... show more Basically, I'm not rich - I have a job that pays $9 an hour, and I work 30 hours a week, but I'm going to college and my family can't afford to help me out too much. So where/how can I find a prom dress that won't take months to save up for?? I'd love for the dress to be under $200 - however I'm willing to go up to $300 or so. Any thoughts or ideas you have would be wonderful!!!

I understand that there ARE pretty dresses out there that one can get for cheap, but I really don't want to look like I have to scrape the bottom of the barrel. I'd like a dress that's modern, pretty, not something that looks years old. I go to a rich school, so people would notice if I got something from five years ago. So any suggestions you have are much appreciated!!