Which TEFL should I get?

I'd like to get a TEFL certificate because I'm hoping to get a teaching job in Japan. How do I tell which company is the best to get my TEFL from? Are TEFL's really worth getting. Can someone please tell me about their TEFL course. There are so many websites offering TEFL courses it almost doesn't look genuine. I'm looking at a site called i-TO-i.

7 Answers

  • 10 years ago
    Favourite answer

    CELTA; Trinity, and SIT are the top 3. Any course with 120 horus and 6 of teaching practice is good.


  • 10 years ago


    Great to see you're interested in getting a TEFL certificate. There are lots of course providers, so it can be difficult choosing. When deciding who to go with you need to look at a companies accreditation and the requirements in the country you are looking to teach in. There are some good tips for choosing a reputable course provider here:


    To be able to teach in Japan, you would struggle to find without having a TEFL certificate as most employers there will want to see that you've done at least 120 hours worth of TEFL training. To get more information on the requirements to teach in Japan you may want to take a look here:


    Hope this helps you!

  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    Yes, they're worth getting. For a job you'll need a degree and a TEFL certificate. The degree can be in almost any subject as it is usually required for the visa only so you will find teachers with a degree in Engineering or Sociology. Having said this, to help get the job it's obviously better to be English or language related, for example a degree in English literature. The TEFL certificate can be taken either in-house or online at your own pace which is a much cheaper option (see http://icalweb.com).

    The best place to see reviews is http://teflcoursereview.com

    Source(s): Introduction to Teaching English overseas: http://teflworldwiki.com/index.php?title=TEFL:_An_...
  • 10 years ago

    CELTA or Trinity TESOL are the only independently accredited, internationally accepted TEFL courses.

    The CELTA and Trinity TESOL also provide 6 hours observed in class teaching practice with real students. Very important for teacher development. It's worth it, and you will feel a lot better in Japan if you have some real experience behind you.

    The British Council who accredit UK schools, insist their teachers must have either the CELTA or Trinity TESOL qualifications. They don't recognize other courses.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

    You might want to check out http://www.tefl-reviews.com

    Unbiased Tesol, Tesl, Celta, Tefl course reviews by real people.

    Good luck!

  • 10 years ago

    The most widely regarded is the CELTA. If not that take one that provides practical experience teaching actual students of English.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.