Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 9 years ago

How do I let the guests no they do not wear shoes in the home (British people please)?

Husband's family is coming from England soon. I notice when I am at their home in the Christmas they all are wearing shoes. I do not allow shoes in the house it makes too much dirt. Should I let them know before the time so they can have clean feet and good socks? I am worried they may have feet that smell which is why the wear the shoes in the home. Is this common in England?

Favorite Answer

Well I'm not British but I'll still answer! You can ask your husband to let them know before hand, or you can if you feel comfortable to tell them yourself. Or you can put a sign up in your home that says to take your shoes off.

• Ed Fox

Here in England, we have a little rug or mat immediately outside the front door called a doormat. Every visitor is expected to wipe his/her feet thoroughly before entering the house. Here in England taking your shoes off in someone's house is a sign of familiarity, and might cause offense, not only because of the familiarity aspect but also because sitting around only in socks is taken as a sign that you are feeling just a little too comfortable with your surroundings

You can let them know ahead of time to save any problems when they arrive. However, they may cotton on pretty fast if the see yourself taking the shoes off at the door or see a few shoes left by the door.

I don't know how common it is here in UK, but I know many people who do prefer shoes not to be worn indoors. I don't mind too much (unless the shoes are really dirty or are wellies), but I have had people visit and they automatically take thier shoes off before coming in, they either are in the habit of doing so, or they simply see me answer the door in my stocking soles or slippers (and the fact I keep my wellies and my hubby's working boots outside) and assume that is the norm and take thier shoes off!

Have a shoe rack by the door and ask them if they would like a pair of socks so they are more comfortable. I'm from England and don't allow shoes inside either. Most people only understand if your kids are crawling or if you have got white carpet. If they don't take the hint then kindly ask them if they mind taking their shoes off

• Sheepy

lol what...

Not everyone wears shoes inside in Britain or any other country, it all depends on the individual.

Smelly feet isn't something that people can really control (without excessive measures) and in my knowledge people don't tend to worry or think about it and it's certainly not the reason why you'd wear shoes inside.

If you don't want them to wear shoes, then just politely ask if they can take them off when they enter the house. They should see your family's shoes near the door and just take them off, no one will take it offensively (unless you say they have smelly feet).

I prefer people not to wear shoes in my home and so do many other British people. I answer the door in my socks or slippers and most people ask if they should take their shoes off.

Hmm, mostly ppl take shoes off if theyre going to stay long, though if theyre just popping in they may keep their shoes on, and usually the first thing I say to someone visiting is "just dump your shoes here" Here being an alcove in the hallway near the door.

You could buy a few pairs of slippers and leave them near the door and add 'Feel free to take a pair of slippers.'

Source(s): British

I would politely let them know to remove their shoes when they arrive,you don't want dirt and dust in your home , you could maybe buy a few cheap pairs of slippers for them then you won't have to worry about their feet smelling.

• Jan409

I'm Scottish and we all take our shoes off as we come indoors,always have done

We provide slippers for anyone that wants them,other than that I just ask people

to take their shoes off when they come in

let them know ahead of time

i wouldnt take my shoes off if i have been working all day and soon after went over to someones house