Joe asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 9 years ago

How do you deal with things you fear? Things that make you hurt emotionally?

Sure, I am sensitive. I get hurt. I did not ask to be this way... I did not have a choice though. When I see someone crying, it hurts. When someone is sad, I become sad. But, mistakes I make also hurt. Like getting a D in accounting. That hurt. Being dumped, that hurt. Failing hurt. Getting screamed at. Losing money in gambling hurt.

All of these things are emotional. In all of these instances I got hurt. I didn't have a scratch on my body, yet I was hurt.

How would you deal with this? If you were extra sensitive and the pain was intense. I have tendencies to avoid this hurting... Like not going to school. Or watching tv to get away from the pain. Distracting myself. Especially drinking and gambling. Anything to get my mind off of these painful things.

While the paths I take initially ease the pain temporarily, it adds more pain for the future. Like watching tv now feels good, but getting an F in a course later, because I had not studied will make me hurt.

Would you face you fear in the present? Hurt now, so that you won't in the future? I just have not been able to do this. I always want to push pain into the future. I don't want pain now. And I'm sure when the future comes, I will not want pain then.

In other words, I have a huge problem with pain. Any suggestions?

sometimes we face them, sometimes we dont, you dont have to face everything, but not facing anything wont help you

emotional pain is not as simple as 'move on' no matter what anyone tells you, you can garentee they didnt move on from theirs either

its just not ';sociably acceptable' to show you are damaged emotionally

if you hadnt studied , that is soemthing you can change, your in control of that, and yes you will feel 'hurt'; but what your feeling, is probably more liek dissapointment in yourself than 'hurt'

pain isnt your problem, its dealing with life, which is generally eveyrones problem, and we actualyl cause a lot of our own 'pain, as you said, you dont study, so you fail

that is something you did to yourself,

maybe your punishing yourself, for something you feel you deserve punishment for?

what you need to do is ask youself,why you didnt study, why you feel in 'pain' all the time

what is the real issue, itsnot pain, its something else

• ?

Although fear, anxiety and stress can be cured easily by psychotherapy, here are some tips to get rid of the troubling feelings.

1) Humor. Laughter really is the best medicine and it reduces the stress hormones in your

system. It also increases boosts your immune system through increasing the natural killer t-cells. Start to see the funny side of life, go to comedy shows, watch funny movies or TV shows. These will help to boost your immune system and make you feel better.

2) Diet. Eat to live but do not live to eat. A healthy diet will help you to feel better and to keep your immune system in tip-top condition. Vitamins A, C and E are extremely good for you, as are anti-oxidants (which fight free radicals and reduce the signs of aging). The Omega fatty acids are extremely good for you and have been shown to have a very beneficial effect on your brain chemistry, contributing to you feeling happier and more energetic.

If you eat a balanced diet with plenty or fruits and vegetables then you will get all the vitamins and minerals you require. However, if you do not feel you are getting enough or want more then supplements are highly recommended - though always buy good quality ones and do your research.

3) Exercise is vital to relieving stress in that it works the stress hormones out of your body and prevents then from causing damage. Exercise also boosts your immune system and releases endorphins in your brain which make you feel better. Whatever type of exercise you choose, it is important that you do it regularly. Some forms of exercise you might enjoy include walking, yoga, gardening, swimming, running, going to the gym, cycling or anything else that gets the body going.

4) Sleep has a significant affect upon your stress levels and on your immune system strength. I am sure you have had very bad nights sleep and then found the next day you have two left feet and are all thumbs. With a continued lack of sleep, which is what happens when you are stressed, you are more prone to accidents, more irritable and less able to cope with what goes on in your daily life. It is when you are asleep that your body does most of its repairs, so it's vital you get the right amount of sleep for you each night - typically it is 8 hours, though some people need more, some less. Find what is best for you.

5) Music is a great way to relax. Listening to music that helps you to relax and feel good will reduce your stress levels. Exactly what type of music relaxes you is down to individual taste, but listen to the type of music that helps release your stress and makes you feel more relaxed. Close your eyes, relax and let the music carry you along.

6) If you can Think Positively and reframe the events that happen to you in a positive light then you will find they no longer have such a strong stressful effect upon you. Look at what is good about a situation or event; be grateful for what you have in your life, and just enjoy whatever life sends your way. This simple attitude will help to keep you relaxed whatever life may send your way.

7) Participation in social service, sports and other social activities and getting to know new

people with politeness and courtesy and a positive attitude are great stress reducers.

Stress does not need to be managed through drugs and medicine, but can be most effectively managed through natural methods. Use these six methods and enjoy the benefits of less

stress in your life.

Regret is one of the worst feelings in life, regret hurts. It sounds like you fear pain. Facing your fears is the ultimate rush. Once you get used to doing it you will enjoy the oppurtunity every time it presents it's self. I like to savor those few precious moments right before I walk on stage to give a presentation, or deliver bad news to someone. That's when you fear reaches it's appex. Teach yourself to enjoy the pain/fear whatever. Savor those precious moments, cause you don't want to regret it late in life.