How do you deal with things you fear? Things that make you hurt emotionally?

Sure, I am sensitive. I get hurt. I did not ask to be this way... I did not have a choice though. When I see someone crying, it hurts. When someone is sad, I become sad. But, mistakes I make also hurt. Like getting a D in accounting. That hurt. Being dumped, that hurt. Failing hurt. Getting screamed at. Losing... show more Sure, I am sensitive. I get hurt. I did not ask to be this way... I did not have a choice though. When I see someone crying, it hurts. When someone is sad, I become sad. But, mistakes I make also hurt. Like getting a D in accounting. That hurt. Being dumped, that hurt. Failing hurt. Getting screamed at. Losing money in gambling hurt.

All of these things are emotional. In all of these instances I got hurt. I didn't have a scratch on my body, yet I was hurt.

How would you deal with this? If you were extra sensitive and the pain was intense. I have tendencies to avoid this hurting... Like not going to school. Or watching tv to get away from the pain. Distracting myself. Especially drinking and gambling. Anything to get my mind off of these painful things.

While the paths I take initially ease the pain temporarily, it adds more pain for the future. Like watching tv now feels good, but getting an F in a course later, because I had not studied will make me hurt.

Would you face you fear in the present? Hurt now, so that you won't in the future? I just have not been able to do this. I always want to push pain into the future. I don't want pain now. And I'm sure when the future comes, I will not want pain then.

In other words, I have a huge problem with pain. Any suggestions?