Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 9 years ago

My computer keeps shutting down randomly?

My computer keeps turning off and shutting itself down at random times, and when i try to turn it back on it will just stay on for a few minutes then turn off again. What can i do to to fix this problem? its getting really annoying and it happens offten

8 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago
    Best answer

it could be overheating .. open it up and clean the vents and heat syncs or get someone to do it for you.. obviously it could be many things but thats a good place to start..

• Karen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Probably heat related. Check the air flow, and check for dust bunnies. If found, get rid of them. They are evil. If you are comfortable, test the output on the power supply with a meter. If your PSU is serving up dirty (or bad) voltage, you will have problems. If you think it's the electrical in the room, try using it somewhere else, even another house for a while, and see if the problem persists. Also check the event viewer for any errors that may help lead to the reason. If it is not heat related and it is a program or service, the event viewer is where you will find it. Get to it by: Right click My computer Manage Event Viewer Focus on the System and Application logs. Look for the Warnings(yellow) and Error(red) logs, note the time to see if it coincides with when the PC shutdown on its own or rebooted on its own. I've fixed many a problems troubleshooting with the event viewer. Good Luck

• 9 years ago

I have worked in tech support and I have seen a lot of these. I agree that this could be a overheating issue which can be solved by cleaning the vents and the heatsink However this could also be an OS issue. Follow the steps below to test whether its a hardware issue or a software issue :

1. Boot into the bios by pressing the Delete Key or F2 key which ever is the designated one for your system. Stay in the BIOS screen and let sit there to see whether it would reboot . If it reboots within the BIOS you would know its a definite Hardware issue/Overheating issue.

2. If the machine doesnt reboot within BIOS then you would need to check the device manager of Windows. Also unplug all peripherals to see whether a USB device could be causing this.

Hope this helps

Source(s): Experience
  • Bobbb
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

This sounds like a typical viral issue.

Boot the computer into Windows Safe Mode by pressing F8 about once every second during startup.

Now download and run the Windows Defender application.

Run your updated antivirus.

Download Spybot (free version available) from www.spybot.com

Run Malwarebytes from http://malwarebytes.org or Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de

Now reboot and see what happens. This should have got rid of it.

If not, then post a second question with details of what is infecting it.

Jonah

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I have seen a fair amount of random shut downs lately and most are due to Java Injection Infections. The cure has been to Update java to 6.23 and run malwarebytes on safe mode

I use Malwarebytes to remove Malware

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Malwarebytes is a site dedicated to fighting malware. Malwarebytes has developed a variety of tools that can identify and remove malicious software from your computer. When your computer becomes infected, Malwarebytes can provide the needed assistance to remove the infection and restore the machine back to optimum performance.

Malwarebytes' products have proven successful in removing malware from customers computers time and time again. Malwarebytes is constantly working on creating new products which are continuously updated to assist you in keeping your computer infection free.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is an anti-malware application that can thoroughly remove even the most advanced malware. It includes a number of features, including a built in protection monitor that blocks malicious processes before they even start.

FileASSASSIN is an application that can delete locked malware files on your system. It uses advanced programming techniques to unload modules, close remote handles, and terminate processes to remove the file. Please use with caution as deleting critical system files may cause system errors.

How To Remove Malware Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfvhkWBpksk

Youtube thumbnail

• Mimi
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

if it's a laptop, check the power cord is in properly - if it comes loose and you don't notice, it will shut down when it gets low battery without warning, and when you switch it on again if it hasn't had a chance to charge up it will shut down again after a few minutes.

• 9 years ago

sounds like an over heating problem to me,check to see if both fans are working correctly????

• 9 years ago

Open your PC and see if your fans are still spinning. Also check if your power supply fan is spinning.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.