Judy

filing status "single head of household" - tro please read?

There is no such thing as single head of household, no matter how many times you insist there is and claim you know something else nobody else does (including, apparently, the IRS). There are five filing statuses - single is one of them, head of household is another. The forms have check boxes on them to choose a filing status, and you can check only one box - it says so right on the form. LOOK AT THE FORM PLEASE and stop giving out this bad info. If someone hasn't been with their spouse after June 30 of the tax year, has one or more of their dependent children (or stepchild or foster child) living with them, and meets a few other rules, they can file as Head of Household, not the non-existent SINGLE head of household or as single.

If you allowed email, someone could sent this info to you privately rather than post it publicly.

Judy, she won't hear you.

TRO has ZERO intention of reading an IRS publication and understanding it. She's been claiming this fake single status for months now and refuses to listen. I feel for her clients. When they file as single and claim EIC (say they've got $10K of income) or education credits, they will owe money back to the IRS when caught committing tax fraud.

TRO won't learn until the IRS catches one of her clients, they brag that she told them it was okay and ALL of her clients get audited. And once the word gets around to her clients, she will be out of business. (Maybe the new test will prevent her from hanging out her shingle.)

Thanks Judy and all the other knowledgeable advisers who've responded. Whenever I post an answer, I usually include information on the publication number, page and a link to an IRS or FTB website to support that answer. The best we can hope to do is help educate others.

Source(s): Tax preparer & accountant/bookkeeper

Thanks for trying, Judy. For some reason Tro seems to think s/he has special knowledge unavailable to anyone else. No matter how many times Tro is corrected (on this or any other matter), it is followed by Tro's instance that s/he is correct and everyone who disagrees is wrong. I wish I had hope your posting will correct a misunderstanding, but history with Tro provides me with little hope. Still, and again, thanks for trying.

With the internet seems easy to me to go to the government site for this.I have used the site to get answers to ss questions.There is a list of questions with answers.I think it's usa.gov

You always wonder how she can be right and every other person is wrong. That should be a heads up right there.

Thanks for trying to get the message through; but I agree with the others - we may be beating our heads against a brick wall.

Source(s): B.A. business administration (accounting major), passed the CPA exam after college, and years in the accounting field, do my own taxes (and appreciate your knowledge).

you are right

Source(s): been through it