why do actors and actresses whisper in films?

Whenever I watch a film in cinema and online, most of the actors whisper when saying their lines. Why can't they talk louder, I can never hear what they're saying. Or if they don't whisper, they talk in a low voice

That is one of my biggest problems with movies these days. Not only do they whisper

and speak quietly - the soundtrack music and outside noises cover them up as well.

I don't think I understand 50 percent of what is said now. I guess the moviemakers

are striving for what they think is "realism" but what is the point of dialogue if you

can't make it out. Don't know why they make them that way.

I admit to having a hearing problem due to shooting without ear protection which

largely explains it for me, but my friends all hear very well but they have the same

problem

I don't even go to theaters any more as I can miss just as much on TV when

they come out on HBO or other channels.

This is not just a problem for old folks with hearing difficulties. Many young people with perfect hearing have the same experience. My guess is that someone in the film industry had the brilliant idea that whispering conveys emotion better than normal speech, that mumbling is somehow more "authentic", and that this notion spread rapidly until it became the norm. One can only hope that there are sufficient numbers of directors with life experience and common sense to begin a reversal of this idiotic trend. No sign of that yet, sadly.

I have long since given up paying a small fortune at the cinema to not hear or understand dialogue and then be deafened by action scenes in films! I would much rather have patience and wait for the DVD to come out for rent, so I can sit at home with a cuppa in one hand and the remote in the other, that way I can do the Directors job for them and actually understand what is going on! My favourite TV series to ridicule at the moment is Revenge, I think I watched the first 2 episodes, pmsl with all the whispering, and then moved on to shows I could actually hear the dialogue on. The worry is that these programmes seem to be popular, if they were boycotted, programme makers would be forced to sort this ridiculous situation!!!

I don't see it *** dramatic unless you mean "subdued". What is even more difficult to understand are mumbling Aussies.

I see it as part of a move to over reliance on CGI and BIG BOOMS sound. Acting is taking a back seat to pseudo-technology.

Homeland, Brody whispered all the way through the programme and it is so bloody annoying!!! Ruins it when you can;t make out what they are saying!!!

I could not agree more, I rely on subtitles now more and more. I wish they would speak like they do in UK films.

That is what the script tells them to do.

But what i want to know is why there is always music playing when they do.

You can,t hear what they saying is this what directors are taught in school?

If you are gonna have whispering shouldn't there be no noise at all during the whispering scene?

I found this to be a problem within the last few years also, and whilst I have a hearing aid and require it, even at the cinema, I recently watched a movie, "The American" and even with the aid turned to 'high', some of the mutterings in the cast, seem to have been lower than whale sh1t, and indecipherable.

well i was in new york at our hotel doing homework lmao and these german people came behind me and started filming there. the camera man was 20-30 feet away from the girl and guy who were talking but they were wearing little microphones that they were talking into. i couldn't hear them from where i was sitting. so maybe the mic was too far from their mouth or they were being watched by others. it IS also to sound a little dramatic though. usually they try to fix the volume so that's weird u cant hear them.

To be dramatic