Is there an alternative to using Vino Cotto in a recipe? I am making an Italian cheesecake?

I cannot find it in the shops where i have went, is there an alternative wine to use? Thanks

What if i cant find a balsamic syrup? lol

Favorite Answer

Vino cotto is nothing to do with vinegar! It is literally "cooked wine". It is the must from the grape cooked over a low heat for hours until it is reduced to a very thick, sweet, extremely alcoholic drink.

You are very unlikely to get this outside of Italy. The nearest substitute would be a sweet, ruby red port or alternatively a sweet sherry - although neither of them taste as good as vino cotto!

Source(s): I live in Italy for part of the year and vino cotto is a speciality of our region.
  • Penny

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ax9el

You can use other crusts. Use a cookie crust or a cake type crust. Both would need to be baked before making the cheesecake. Almost any cookie could be used as a crust for a cheesecake. A cake, one layer baked then split in half would make a good cake base. I say cut in half because I don't think you would want the base as thick as a full cake layer. If you don't want a base at all you should be able to make the cheesecake as you normally would, pour it into the spring form pan but place a piece of cardboard with a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan first. Then wrap the pan in aluminum foil so the cake does on leak out or that the water, if you are baking the cake in a water bath, does not leak in.

I have never heard of a crust-less cheese cake or done this but imagine the only problem would be sticking to the pan, so if you are going to experiment with it I suggest you grease the bottom & sides of pan with vegetable shortening or the like. I you can afford to waste you can also try butter but butter evaporates a little faster then shortening and if scorched has a different flavor. If you have an allergy to wheat or some form of gluten there are recipes for nut crusts. or you may experiment with some other forms to help it separate from the pan. maybe line the pan with sour cream or mayonnaise. Sour cream mixed with sugar is sometimes used to top a cheese cake. I suggest using more sugar then the recipe calls for, perhaps doubling. the last sour cream topping I used was a little to tart for my palate. Make small pans if experimenting as not to waste.

• gaster

Vincotto Substitute

• ?

dont like vegetables or vegetables either. Most my menu contains is hamburgers, pizza, chips, and rooster.

how can t be alcoholis if it's cooked?