Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePreschool · 9 years ago

why is this not enough to be a nursery nurse without any further study?!?

I'm 18 and I want to apply for a job as a nursery nurse. I hold 6 GCSE's and a level 3 BTEC in health and social care. over the past 2 years, I have had 4 weeks of work placement in a nursery, helped out at nurseries in the holidays, and helped out with rainbows on a weekly basis.

I understand your frustration, something like this happened to me but unfortunately the regulations state that you must have an actual childcare qualification. The BTEC even though a good qualification is a general qualification not specific enough to call your self a nursery nurse. Please be careful if you decide to do more training I would advise you think hard about what you'd like to become and go from there. I run a Pre-school and when advertising for new staff get lots of applications from people who have the teaching assistant level 3 qualifications again this is not enough to work in a early years setting (nursery/creche). With a Teaching assistants qualification that's all you can ever do is assist a teacher. Sorry to disappoint you.

Because, if you are in the UK, you need to hold a NVQ3 in childcare, not health and social care, as it has to be focusing entirely on the childcare sector. I know this because I can't seem to get a job in a local nursery, despite having a level 2 NVQ and having been there for just over 2 years. Experience in childcare and a general qualification does not give you an immediate right to be able to work in a nursery. Perhaps ask the nursery if they would be willing to fund you to do the extra training and qualifications instead.

Yeah.. It's because you need level 2/3 in childcare or a cache.. I applied for loads of nursery jobs when i was younger but no hope due to not enough experince or childcare qualifications. So now i'm at uni studying teaching (early years) after this i could get a nursery job because i have knowledge of the early years foundation stage which is covered in nursery.

Source(s): My experience

You sound like you have a good start. You need to ask the person who told you that it wasn't enough. It could be that the law requires you to hold a certain qualification before you can be left in charge. You should apply to a nursery and ask. It could be that you could work as an assistant while you're finishing your studies.

You do need further study to gain understandings about young children learning. It looks very simple to work with kids, but it does need professional knowledge to support children's development.

Information on this site http://mynursinghelp.com might help you

yes

because they say it`s not enough