Home insurance in UK. Ld to renew, but it lapsed for a few months, lost no claims bonus? Recommendations?

My building and contents insurance lapsed around 6 months ago. Now I can afford to get it renewed, but getting accurate quotes online is not really possible, as places ask about how long you have had *continuous* insurance for without making any claim. I didn't realise having a break like this would cause problems. Can anybody recommend any firms I can phone who won't see this break of a few months as such a big deal? I say phone, as getting quotes for my scenario online seems virtually impossible, but please point me towards any firm's websites that could handle this! Please please please, don't just suggest I go to the usual price comparison websites, I've already done this and keep running into the same problem.

I didn't accept the renewal quote from my last company because of the enormous rise in premiums. They said it was because they had started insuring for a minimum contents value of many thousands of pounds, and they couldn't take into account the fact that my contents are worth probably less than 10k! Of course this is priority, I want it sorted ASAP, hence asking for help on here!

Kernow Lady, I am *not* making this more complicated. I've been through the process of obtaining enough quotes in the last week to know! Some firms let you off for a gap of 3, 4 months, but not 6 it seems...or those that don't care about it are much more expensive anyway. As for a 'no claims bonus' not existing for houses, of course it does! That is why (a) you get better prices if you haven't claimed in several years, and (b) that is why every firm and broker I have spoken to have been telling me about how this gap affects my 'no claims bonus'! Anyway it is sorted now. Found a firm who weren't as cheap as the quotes I was getting when I said I hadn't have such a long break, but still much cheaper than when I got quotes assuming that I had never had insurance before.

• Cala

Kernow Lady is wrong, as you pointed out. A no claims bonus on home insurance policies was introduced a few years ago and almost all standard insurers offer a no claims bonus.

She is also wrong about the definition of "break in cover". It means exactly what it says - have you had a break in cover?

Having worked i in the insurance sector for well over 20 years, including around 13 years with a major insurer, I can assure you that insurance companies can, and do, check details. Not every policy gets checked, and often a check won't be carried out until a claim is made - but they do have several ways of checking. If you lie then you cannot complain when you have a claim rejected.

The only way to find out who will offer a good deal after a long break in cover is to ring round. Go on the comparison sites and see who offers competitive premiums - then ring those companies and see what they can offer you.

Try AQuote - they may be able to help.

Source(s): Working in insurance sector for over 20 years.

I suggest you to talk to your insurance agent. They'll guide you with a precise solution.

RE:

My building and contents insurance lapsed around 6 months ago. Now I can afford to get it renewed, but getting accurate quotes online is not really possible, as places ask about how long you have had ...

• Tavy

You are complicating things. I have had breaks in home & building Insurance over the years. What they mean is have you made a claim, just enter no. These Insurers only check whether you have made a claim, not whether someone else has insured you.

I have just moved house and have insured with the AA over the phone. They only asked if I had made any claims, they were not interested whether previous Insurance had lapsed. mine did by 4 months.

Try again. There is no such thing as no claims bonus on houses, only cars.

UK

If your marriage is in crisis, you need urgent actionand proven strategies to help save it. Don't wait a moment longer, Learn here https://tr.im/htIzj

Did you know that the longer you leave it, the more damage you risk doing? Don't risk pushing your spouse even further away.

Save My Marriage Today is the most comprehensive and life changing course I know of that has saved thousands of marriages and reestablished love and renewed commitment. Let yours become the next success story!

Look up insurance brokers in your yellow pages - they are the experts at placing risks with appropriate companies.

be grateful this is the only problem you have. If your house had caught fire in this time you would have lost everything - and still had the mortgage to pay.

shudder. Please prioritise this above almost everything else.

what about the company you used before? Can they not be talked into helping?

• Ed Fox

The break is a big deal.