Will friends attend your family Christmas festivities?

Seems that every year, more and more "single" or "alone" friends are attending our Christmas family gatherings. It is adding a richness and spice to our gatherings that we are all enjoying....and includes my children's divorced/single friends...along with some of mine....plus a nice couple whose children have all moved to faraway places.

Yes... it does mean that things are pretty "crammed".....but we figure...the more the merrier!

The family gathers about an hour and a half before we have invited the "guests" to come.....we do the "gift opening" thing then so that we don't have an uncomfortable situation of inviting people who then sit in the midst of present opening.

We tell them not to bring any gifts....but they are welcome to bring things like bottles of soft drinks, ice, food, etc...

@We should all send best wishes to Marilyn who is so far from home in a strange land....trying her best to make the best of it and to make a Christmas for herself and her husband the best way she knows how.

HUGS TO YOU, Dear Marilyn!!!

We are very far away from my family this year and my husband isn't as close to his siblings as he used to be. They are busy anyways with their own grand kids.

We will probably get together with our 80 year old neighbor and her daughter, they live two floors up from us. Not sure yet about the food, I know they will be baking something good.

We plan on having them over for New Years Eve, our wood floors should be redone so we don't mind having people over to dance on them.

We always have friends join our holiday gatherings. So many have family that is scattered across the country. We feel the more the merrier also. Our dining room table seats 12, and we still have a kids table in the kitchen. I love having a full house for the holidays.

• Poppy

We use to have my children and their spouses and kids come for Christmas dinner. Now both the children and their families live far away. However, my daughter wants us to come to Alabama for Christmas, a nine or ten hour drive. I want to fly or go by train as I hate long trips. Hubby says he would rather drive. I have not made up my mind. Poppy

No, it is a family gathering, not that friends would not be welcomed. I think it is wonderful when people include those that would not necessarily have anywhere to go. Over the years, there have been a few friends that were included.

Unfortunately, judges tend to side with the mother in child custody cases. But it sounds like you have a very good case to show she's mentally unfit. You have an even better libel case because of the blogs. I know it sucks for the 12-year-old, but it will be even worse for her to be brought up by that woman, who is unstable and undoubtedly filling her head with terrible ideas about you and your husband. Take her to court for moving out of state without court's consent if you can and in your claim, include everything you did here, even if you've stated it in the past.

• Monty

We go to our kids' house. Do the gift thing as a family. Son in law's brother and sister and all of their families come for dinner, so we're quite a crowd. It's nice. Especially since my son in law does most of the cooking.

My brother's having a Christmas dinner and has invited the woman next door. Her mother died earlier this year and now she is all alone.

• Snid

Nope. Everyone has plans of their own. In years past we had one particular couple with no children who used to spend Christmas with us. The kids LOVED it.

• You're luckey. Except for my sister who will be working, I have no family left. All are dead now, along with many of my friends. All holidays are just another day to me now.

• ?

No, just family.