Is text speak ruining the English language and/or setting kids up for failure, in your opinion?

I'm a University Junior and when my professor handed out his paper writing instructions he wrote in bold *NO TEXT SPEAK. IF YOU WRITE YOUR PAPER IN TEXT SPEAK IT WILL BE THROWN OUT AND YOU WILL RECEIVE A ZERO* I thought it was sad he felt the need to put that in there, which means he probably had a student do it once.

Dear God... if you hand in a paper at university with txtspk in it (unless it's a paper *about* txtspk), you should be expelled, as you're clearly too stupid to be an undergraduate. (Mind you, what does it say about the university, that you were admitted in the first place?)

Txtspk isn't ruining English - it has its uses when you're typing fast or trying to fit a lot of information into a small space. Inappropriate use of txtspk is what's ruining English.

Text speak is not test speak. It is a code more than a shorthand that confuses even the people who practice it. Whereas the code "LOL" is considered to mean "laughing out loud," it is also used as "Lots of Love," or "Lots of luck." We're ducking communication, which is a fragile commodity at best.

Most phones today don't charge extra for more letters. Text speak will become an anachronism.

It's the same with spell check -- too many people don't know the difference between "they're," "their," and "there."

I encourage neologisms, but not at the loss of communication.

Source(s): psychology professor

Neither. It is a form of shortening words that makes it easier to write in a limited amount of space. Not all teens use it and when writing a final draft versus texting someone is completely different. Shakespeare shorted up his words for flow and the shortening of the text speak is along the same lines. If you have read 1984, its like Newspeak because it shortens up words for texting that a majority of people know while Newspeak shortens up words that just gives a less of a choice to use by shortening. Also English is always having moderation done. The dictionary is getting larger every year so its no ruining the English language and how would it set up for failure?

No. All professor's mostly say "NO TEXT SPEAK!" So that means it probably has had a student that handed in a paper that was in text speak. I text with abbreviation, and I get straight A's in english.

I personally think that text speak is ruining the english language and in a way it is setting kids up for failure.

I am a freshman and we had a test where many of the students answered questions with answers such as: nd tht is y you shouldnt eat cheese w/ a fork.

no joke, i actually saw the papers. Texting has let people think that they can write like that all the time and let them think that everyone understands and will be fine with text lingo

Source(s): my own classes

Yes, text speak is ruining the english language.. and I don't really see why people want to shorten words... it's just a way of being lazy.. I don't think it sets kids up for failure, but they shouldn't get used to text speak.

personally, when im texting i dont abbreviate everything but sometimes when im typing an essay or something i write bout instead of about or cos instead of because. just little things like that and it scares me that texting is taking over the english language.

i guess we just have to be more careful but you never know... in the future texting language could possibly be the new english !! especially seeing how our world is always looking for something faster and easier :P

• Andy

No, it's not. Text speak and internet slang are simply different ways of using the language, and fit the purpose of the medium. for instance, text speak like "l8r" or "2nite" are entirely legitimate in a text because you only have l a limited number of characters to send a message, plus they are quicker to type. A similar situation exists for internet slang like LOL or ROFL, IMHO etc. In internet chat a quick response is needed and abbreviations make this easier. Also, the odd spelling mistake in a conversation on-line does not compromise the information begin transferred.

I frequently use internet chat where I do not check spelling, use abbreviations and insert the odd smiley. I also work in an Office editing work that has to be perfectly spelt and comply with our publishing standards before being uploaded to the web. Text speak is simply another mode of language, and has its place. It's similar to a child speaking to his parents or friends. The way he will say something changes dramatically to use the appropriate style of language. Text is an example of this range of "registers", but in a written format.

Source(s): BA (hons) in English Language. Look up David Crystal for more.

No, text speak mainly uses shortcuts, but to use the shortcuts, you need to know the word. However, if people write in text speak for major things like résumés and tests, then they should not receive credit for everything in text speak.

Yes I think it is. I know from experience, people that use language like this all the time and think it's proper English. I hate it so much. I'm the type of person that goes around correcting everything.

Well there's a place to text speak and it's not at school. It's only on your phone and Facebook and chatrooms. You're not supposed to text speak on an essay. It's not ruining the English language or setting kids up for failure unless they choose to.