Why is it so easy for thinkers to "tie themselves up in knots"?

Knots which they seemingly can't get out of. If thinkers are supposedly smart, knots should be the last thing they get caught in. My very vague and general hypothesis: Perhaps, just because someone's a thinker, doesn't mean they're smart or wise...(me! hahaha). I'm sure there's much more to... show more Knots which they seemingly can't get out of. If thinkers are supposedly smart, knots should be the last thing they get caught in. My very vague and general hypothesis: Perhaps, just because someone's a thinker, doesn't mean they're smart or wise...(me! hahaha). I'm sure there's much more to it and I'm looking for your thoughts. Thanks.
Update: Thanks you two. But, what if one knows that "reality is unfathomable"? Why can't one manage his or her thoughts at this point?
Update 2: @ Zaphod: Mmm, I believe training is fallible. It actually most definitely is. One must continually re-enforce the training or seek new methods.
Update 3: @ Bruce: I agree with you, accepting reality and rationality is very humbling. I've experienced that, but somehow am no longer able to believe in the rationality and objectivity of things. Hmph.
Update 4: @ Trill Will: I feel you on that completely! I rmb when I was first "maturing" I would write down all of my thoughts to be sure there was a point when I didn't doubt them. I wrote and wrote until the thougths became so powerful that there was doubt left (artificially of course). My issue revolves around this... show more @ Trill Will: I feel you on that completely! I rmb when I was first "maturing" I would write down all of my thoughts to be sure there was a point when I didn't doubt them. I wrote and wrote until the thougths became so powerful that there was doubt left (artificially of course). My issue revolves around this incurable doubt.