The reasons why Easter is more important to Christians than Christmas?

Favorite Answer

I understand what you are asking. At the end it is important to clarify some matters.

Which is more important, Jesus birth or his death?

First the answer.

(Ecclesiastes 7:1) 7 A name is better than good oil, and the day of death than the day of one’s being born.

Jesus birth accomplished little. As a baby not one of us have become anyone with a name. A name that has memories and stir up images of what we did. Because we have accomplished nothing.

The day of our death is when our name is made full. And this is the time that Jesus Christ fully accomplished his purpose on the earth. This my dear is the only celebration Jesus commanded us to observe.

(1 Corinthians 11:23-26) . . .For I received from the Lord that which I also handed on to YOU, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which he was going to be handed over took a loaf 24 and, after giving thanks, he broke it and said: “This means my body which is in YOUR behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” 25 He did likewise respecting the cup also, after he had the evening meal, saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood. Keep doing this, as often as YOU drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For as often as YOU eat this loaf and drink this cup, YOU keep proclaiming the death of the Lord, until he arrives. . .

His birth was not commemorated. Non of the Jews observed any birth days. So the conclusion is clear. His death.

Now! Do you remember the illustration of a field of wheat being being oversowed with weeds by an enemy?(Matthew 13:24-30) They where let to grow together till the harvest.

This is talking about the Christian congregation. WE read this all through out the letters and even in acts. Revelation chapter 2 and 3 also where Jesus talks to the 7 congregations. Clearly the weeds where already sown and growing.

This Easter (Ēostre /Ishtar ) and Christmas (Saturnalia/ Saturn#) where such weeds that started to grow in the congregation. Made to look like wheat by renaming and re-signifying icons. "A rose by any other name still smells the same" - Shakespeare. They where not planted by Jesus. You will not find such celebrations mentioned or observed by him or his followers in the bible.

We do still observe the Lord's evening meal. The most important celebration of the year. I hope that not only answers your questions but gives you even more.

#At the end of the first century AD, Statius still could proclaim: "For how many years shall this festival abide! Never shall age destroy so holy a day! While the hills of Latium remain and father Tiber, while thy Rome stands and the Capitol thou hast restored to the world, it shall continue" (Silvae, I.6.98ff). And the Saturnalia did continue to be celebrated as Brumalia (from bruma, "the shortest day," winter solstice) down to the Christian era, when, by the middle of the fourth century AD, its festivities had become absorbed in the celebration of Christmas. http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_...

To me they are both important, and actually tied together, with Easter being the Key point. Easter celebrates the death and resurrection of Christ, the fulfillment of his work on Earth, the moment when death was conquered and sins were atoned for, this is why Easter is so important. Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ, but the reason his birth is important is because of what his life would accomplish, that he was the messiah. So the importance of His birth is because of what He would accomplish on Easter.

As it's been explained to me, that *should* be the highlight of the church year because the Resurrection story is central to many people's Christianity. They think that without that part of the story, there's no particular reason to be a Christian. That sets the stage for the whole "follow him because he's God" thing.

If, like me, you don't consider the truth of the Resurrection story (or even whether Jesus actually existed) to be essential to reading the Gospels and trying to follow the teachings, then Easter is less of a big deal.

However, I do like jelly beans.

• Well, according to the Christian religion, the Christ-god rose from the dead at Easter. If the Christ-god did not rise from the dead, then there would be no reason to celebrate it's birth.

Therefore, Easter (supposedly) is more important than Christmas.

• viney

My husband asked me why I rejoice Christmas and Easter, too. he's Christian, inspite of the undeniable fact that no longer very comfortable and he does not attend church generally. i'm greater agnostic- i think there is greater to existence than in basic terms us. There must be.. It in basic terms does not make experience that we live, die and that's it. i think in Karma and the flexibility of folk, alongside with many new age practices. I rejoice Easter because of the fact the beginning up of Spring/summer season. Eggs symbolize existence- Spring represents existence. it is likewise a time to spend with kin and luxuriate in a single yet another. Christmas is type of a similar- after the wintry climate solstice, the days initiate getting longer, and each little thing starts getting brighter. Christmas is an marvelous thank you to recollect that wintry climate won't final continuously, and kin remains there for you.

They are equally important.

Easter is obviously when Jesus gave up his life and sacrificed himself for our sins, and then rose again to bring us to eternal life with him, so very important, yet none of which would have been possible if he was not born at Christmas, also very important.

• mpcotk

Don't get offended, i am also a Christian.

My question to you are these:

Easter is not mentioned in the bible: So where did the name come from?

Easter is celebrated in the spring time: So is it just a coincidence that that rabbit symbolizes fertility and so does the egg: So is this a CHRISTIAN celebration mentioned by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?

Matthew 15:1,3 & 6 [KJV] Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying......But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?.........Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.

Christians as the Pharisees can also make the Word of God INVALID, USELESS, VOID of [of none effect] by the traditions of men that have nothing to do with Jesus Christ Death and Resurrection. Those are the most important event in a Christians life, Christ even said "Keep doing this in rememberance of me" [Talking about the Wine and the unfermented Bread aka: The Last Supper]

HOWEVER, this special day can be made useless by the very traditions of men.

Easter = Isthar [Goddess of Fertility, Babylonian Diety]

Eggs & Rabbit = Gifts of Fertility, or Signs of

This is idolotrous worship that has NOTHING TO DO with Christ.

Easter and Christmas are pagan festivals and are not part of True Christian beliefs it is only part of false doctrins of man that so called Christians celebrate something they believe is dedicated to Jesus.

Jehovah’s Witnesses have good times with their families and friends. But they do not participate in holidays and celebrations that are linked with pagan gods (as is true of such holidays as Easter, New Year’s Day, May Day, and Mother’s Day). (2 Cor. 6:14-17) Like the early Christians, they do not even celebrate birthdays. They also respectfully refrain from sharing in national holidays that memorialize political or military events and refrain from giving worshipful honor to national heroes. Why? Because Jehovah’s Witnesses are no part of the world.

Source(s): Any Bible

Easter commemorates the death and rebirth of Jesus Christ. The crucifixion of of Jesus was an act of sacrifice believed to wash away the sins of the world (hence the term "Lamb of God", as before this, sheep were sacrificed to wash away sins). Christmas simply celebrates his birth.

Now to many Christians, Easter is more important, as the act it commemorates was the most important act of Jesus, according to Christians. However, many Christian denominations, such as the LDS church, shy away from making the death of Jesus more important than his life. This stems from not wanting to believe that it is not their actions that allow them closer to God, but simply by the grace of God (hence their believe in the "levels" of heaven).

Source(s): I am by no means a theologian, but have been a non-denominational Christian most of my life, and have friends of many faiths and denominations (mostly Mormons).

Well, the baby and presents are nice and everything, but the POINT of Christianity isn't the mere existence of Jesus but his sacrifice and overcoming death. That's what Easter is. Without that you have another wise guy who said some mean things about rich people.