Would it hurt to add performance parts to my motor?

I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6 Magnum. I wanted to put a cold air filter and headers on my truck but I don't know if my motor would last as long. Someone told me that me I would just blow up my motor putting stuff like that on it. I have the money to do it and I like to work on motors and stuff.

Would these kind of aftermarket parts hurt my motor?

The motor would not be damaged but the horsepower gain would be far less than you had hoped for. You might gain 5-8 hp. Headers don't last in Winter environments unless they're stainless steel.

Why would you waste money on a cold air filter? Your truck already has one! Slip a K&N filter inside the present cold air box.

Source(s): Alignment, susoension and brake shop.

adding headers will screw up the o2 sensors in the exhaust system and will also change the back pressure to the heads, which will change the way the engine idles as well as the fuel effeciency. Putting a cold air intake filter on is mainly used on high performance engines to help keep the engine cool because of the increased hp and demands that are placed on the engine . Putting this type of filter on your engine will affect the fuel efficiency and will cause your air intake temperature sensor to send the computer, signals that would indicate it needs to deliver more fuel to the engine , and, these signals will conflict with other signals from other engine sensors , sending info to the pcm, and this will cause a number of minor problems that (if you don't mind the irritation) you'll be able to live with...........

No, a cold air intake and headers will not damage the engine. But they won't help much, either. If you're looking to increase power you need to remember that the engine is basically a large air pump. If you increase the amount of air going in, you need to increase the amount of air going out and vice versa. Headers are good for flow, but the rest of the exhaust system won't flow as much as the headers can because it's set up for factory manifolds. It also has a specific amount of backpressure built in to keep the noise down to a minimum and keep the flow as smooth as possible.

Putting these parts on the engine will not cause it to blow up, and shouldn't affect the life of the engine. Have fun experimenting.

• alcock

Dodge Dakota 3.9 Performance Parts

the results of putting on the parts will be mixed. on the plus side. headers, better flowing exhaust and cold air intake will increase power and if driven right your fuel mileage! yeah!!!!!!! now on the down side. fuel will be sucked out at much higher levels with a heavy foot, interior noise will be significant and the music wont sound as good even with more amp volume. it wont hurt the life of the engine however you are the master of that! maintenance and reasonable driving style will make the difference. to all who question aftermarket parts (performance) the factory builds cars to a standard they feel works best for a middle of the populous as to sound levels and comfort. too loud looses sales to older buyers too quit looses younger both in engine noise and exhaust noise. some horse power is sacrificed to make it simplified for their inventory needs. 1 muffler for all v6's etc.

Source(s): 32 year mechanic

There are lots of aftermarket parts that put additional strain on your engine and cause it not to last as long. Cold air filter and headers do not put additional strain and hurt your engine.

Who ever told you that is full of it.Headers let the engine breath better then manifolds and add a little power,not much but some and the cold intake well im not a big believer in them.The factory air intake pull air from the from of the truck so it is getting cool air anyway.

You could start off by buying a k&n cold air intake. It gives you 19 hp for about $300. If you want to make it really rumble, get a SLP ( street legal Performance) exhaust. They have packages that really help your hp.

• the cold air intake allows cooler more dense air into the engine. the computer adjusts the fuel to match that. you would notice slightly less mileage but no long term damage. as for the headers, as long as they are the right ones for the vehicle, i see no draw backs there either. nitrous would be fun but detrimental to the life span of that vehicle.

No those wont hurt anything.

The CAI is a waste of money though. If it actually makes more power its going to be way up at the top of your engines power range where you don't drive and its going to cost you some low end power where you do drive.