mtg- magic ruling "mimic vat and kicker."?

if i have a mimic vat and it imprinted a goblin ruinblaster. if i make a token copy can i pay the kicker?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favourite answer

David James is correct. Kicker is an additional cost of casting the card, and Mimic Vat's ability doesn't cast anything.

• 10 years ago

Before we head to anywhere with our dear Mimic Vat; let take a good look @ Goblin Ruin blaster. It's a 2R 2/1 Haste creature with kicker: You may pay R as you play this spell. If you do, destroy target non-basic land. (or something similar)

Kicker(s) cost can only be paid and be effective when you cast or play the spell from your hand or "You may play that card without paying its casting cost" ability cards like Mind's Desire. Playing or casting any Kicker(s) spell is the only way you can ever pay its kicker(s) cost and make the kicker(s) ability to be effective.

Being said so, Mimic Vat with a Goblin Ruin Blaster imprinted on it only produce a 2/1 Goblin creature token with haste. The Goblin Ruin Blaster's not being casted or played from your hand; unlike a normal spell should - you can't do anything to pay its kicker cost as there's no chance to do so.

Mimic Vat can't interact with the kicker(s) creatures as they are produced as tokens but Mimic Vat does interact very well with creatures that have "When this creature enters the battlefield" effects. Take my personal favourite of Frost Titan being imprinted on Mimic Vat example - You produce the Frost Titan token via Mimic Vat and you tap any opponent's perm and that perm can't un-tap during its controller's un-tap phrase. Then you attack with the Frost Titan token and tap yet another opponent's perm.

Mimic Vat works best with Titan related creatures~ Get it?

Source(s): Self
  • 10 years ago

No. You aren't casting Goblin Ruinblaster, so you can't pay a kicker cost. You're just putting a token into play that is, effectively, a 2/1 with haste and a trigger that does nothing.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.