TM asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 10 years ago

How much money does the british royal family have?

If you take into account buckingham palace, the estates, the jewels and everything.

Also, how much are the crown jewels worth?

Update:

The royal family make the britsih tax payer a profit every year. Also she is the greatest ambassador i the world, she has seen and met more leaders than anyone in the world.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favourite answer

Not as much as you might think. It's been estimated Elizabeth is worth about $250 million. However, Buckingham Palace has always stated that any figure over 100 million pounds is "overstated".

Also, she does not own any of the crown jewels...property of Britain.

As for the palaces, Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, St James Palace, Clarence House, Kensington House, among others are also the property of Britain. She just lives there. Yes with free rent, free housekeeping, free cooks, etc.

The Sovereign, male of female, is also the Duke of Lancaster. The Duchy, worth 100s of millions of pounds, is one source of the Queen's private funds. Elizabeth and Phillip, and no other Royal Family Member, receives money from the Civil List. Elizabeth receives £7,900,000 a year to be head of state. Phillip receives £350,000 a year. Parliamentary Annuities in the amount of £1,254,000 a year are refunded by the Queen from her private funds. This goes to pay other members of the Royal Family, except Charles and Camilla, to attend Royal and State Functions i her place. Prince Charles, as the Duke of Cornwall, receives monies from the Duchy of Cornwall. Other Royal Family Members have "regular jobs" and receive no money from the P.A. The Queen personally Balmoral Castle, Sandringham House among others. She reimburses the British Govt for the maids, the cooks and everything else except security.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • bozko
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

The right answer would be "priceless". There are many individual jewels and thing that have no price other than that of the insurance. They cannot be reacquired nor bought if stolen (traceability reasons), so it's really not possible to estimate real "market" value of it. And that only makes them "worth" even more!

However, if you take the royal jewels and other national things like the Buckingham Palace out (that don't actually "belong" to the family), and leave only estates and personal stuff, that's easier, and it is, according to Forbes, as of 2010, 450 million pounds for the Queen herself.

• Josh
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Well there's kind of three categories Private, Stuff owned by the Monarch but can't be sold, stuff owned buy the nation but held in trust by the Queen.

Queens Private wealth has been given numbers between £100-500 million.

The Crown Estates £6 billion

Most of the other property and objects are pretty much priceless.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

No one will ever know how much the Queen is worth, her advisers are very adept in avoiding and hiding. It must be said though, that the Queen is not short of a bob or two. Her private collection of jewelry is priceless, simply from the fact of who the owner is. The crown jewels too, are priceless, as there is no one who would put their neck on the line by giving them a price.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Minus the Royal Collection she has $450 million. The RC costs about $25 billion.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I don't know how much the royal family have as their own, remember the buildings don't actually belong to them, so can't be included in any wealth survey. All I know is that for the 70p a year that it costs me, they generate millions of pounds in revenue from tourism. I don't have a problem with that, the previous labour government fleeced more than that out of everybody to ensure that education got worse, NHS services got worse, travel costs increased etc.

• 6 years ago

Compare rates free

• Melody
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Source(s): Home Income Making Surveys http://givitry.info/TakeSurveysForCash/?55ok
  • 10 years ago

however much it is it belongs to the taxpayers of the country not them about time they went we are not in the middle ages now lets move on.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Far too much for the crap they do. I am a Republican so i think we should get rid of the tax raping old crow and spend the money on a President who will actually do something in government.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.