? asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 years ago

If my biological father passed away and my stepmother is in the hospital i need to know who is next of kin?

If my biological father passed away and my stepmother is in the hospital i need to know who is next of kin? Im her only stepchild and she has one living niece. Im in NC!

im not adopted & my father passed away last year. im not sure where the niece is. im trying to find out who is next of kin for my stepmother!

and the niece is blood

you are

I'm guessing you mean for her. Well first off did she ever adopt you, as that would influence it more to you. Otherwise it's really hard to say. Another question is where is the niece. They would probably be more inclined to consider you the next of kin IF it's a bigger inconvenience to go to the niece(and is the niece blood, or is it her husband's side as that could direct it more to you as well).

• ursini

Untill death do you area is a assertion for married couples, because of the fact of this marriage is a union, and it is going to purely be untill death which you area. i think of the terrific factor you ought to do for your self is to get to renowned yor stepmother and strengthen a relationship together with her. they say that usually death can convey human beings closer to one yet another, and on your case kind relationships that under no circumstances existed. an element of your father lives on on your stepmother, and clearly a huge area of him nonetheless lives on in you. you ought to maximum defnitely the two benifit via establishing a relationship, and basically think of how proud it will make your dad. even however you dont understand her that properly, think of the heartache that she is going by way of, and what greater appropriate way that may assist you the two deal alongside with your loss via letting one yet another in. stable good fortune.

Unless she adopted you her niece is. If she is conscious and aware you can have her sign a medical power of attorney form and then you would be able to act as NOK if the niece did not object.

• WRG

It could go either way between you or the niece.

it depends. where is your biological mother?

• tro

the spouse is first in line

your biological mother

Source(s): I am a retired police officer. I retired as a sergeant, after 29 years, from a very large department, about 12,000 officers. I was a patrol officer for 4 years in a very diverse area. I was a tactical officer in the high rise project areas of my city. We called it vertical patrol in that we walked the the stairways of the high rises most of the time. I did that for 5 years and was promoted by test to detective. I worked violent crime (homicide, sex, officer involved shootings, robbery, kidnapping, serious non property incidents) for 11 years until I was promoted to sergeant. I worked as a street supervisor, a bicycle patrol supervisor and a desk sergeant/watch commander. During my time as a tactical officer and a detective I was a unit representative for the police union. I have a B.A in English and an M.S. in Law Enforcement Administration..