How can I find my uncle who has been missing for almost 30 years?

I was very small when my dad's only brother disappeared. He was born in Puerto Rico, then the family moved to Chicago, IL when he was a kid, then to Racine, WI where he grew up and got married and had at least two kids. I am not exactly sure when he went missing except the fact that he had a 2 year old son at the time who I am told is pretty close to my age (I am 31 years old now) and a daughter a few years older. I know there is a huge possibility that he is dead and I am willing to accept that. I would just like to know something. Where did he go? Why did he go? Something. When I search for his name, I find some possibilities that seem to match what I do know of him as far as name and possible location but in order to get more detail as far as DOB, current location, and whether or not he is still alive they want too much money. I don't have that kind of money to find out its not even who I was looking for. If I had a better way to find out more info before I spent all that money and had more reason to believe it was actually him it would be more worth it to pay something. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and a little info on the situation:

The last time he was seen, he was going around asking for money and I guess the next day or something he was gone. Also for some reason, still to this day, his family never bothered to look for him or at least never made it known that they did, if they did. I don't know if they are hiding something (for or against him) or not but something doesn't add up. My mom contacted a private detective about 10 or 15 years ago or so but he wanted over $2000 to help which she obviously does not have and neither do I. Otherwise I wouldn't be here right now.

Again thank you all for reading this and trying to help.

You could try taking out a facebook ad with his picture (if you have one). Sometimes missing people are found that way. It would be a long shot, but cheaper than a detective.

get on the internet and look or ask 4 death record.