why do christians believe isaiah 53 is referring to jesus christ?

is this passage of the book isaiah referring to the calvary of jesus? but where in the Hebrew Bible says Jesus will die in a cross and will be risen in the third day and he will be back to heaven?

Isaiah 53 is a stunning prophecy of the suffering, death and resurrection of the future Messiah.

7 different times in that chapter Isaiah prophecies that the future Messiah will suffer for OUR sins.....

Isaiah 53:4 Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows

Isaiah 53:5 But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.

Isaiah 53:6 ...the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Isaiah 53:8 ...for the transgression of my people he was stricken.

Isaiah 53:10 Yet it was the LORD's will to crush him and cause him to suffer, and though the LORD makes his life a guilt offering

Isaiah 53:11 ...he will bear their iniquities

Isaiah 53:12 For he bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Isaiah 53 also tells us that the Messiah will die and that He would be assigned a grave with the wicked (Jesus was crucified with thieves) and with the rich (He was buried in a rich man's tomb).....

Isaiah 53:12 ...he poured out his life unto death

Isaiah 53:9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death

In verse 11, Isaiah also tells us that after His suffering, the Messiah would be resurrected.....

Isaiah 53:11 After the suffering of his soul, he will see the light of life and be satisfied

As for cruicifiction, check this out. In Mark 15:34, why Jesus, while dying on the cross, said "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Those words are actually the first line of Psalm 22, which according to Jewish tradition was written by King David about 1,000 years before Jesus was crucified.

Psalm 22 speaks of a man who cries out to God for deliverance from intense persecution. There are parallels between the details in Psalm 22 and the details written in the New Testament about Jesus' crucifixion, such as:

In Psalm 22:7, it speaks of a man surrounded by others who scorn and despise him. This is what happened to Jesus in Matthew 27:39 and Mark 15:29.

In Psalm 22:7, it speaks of a man being mocked, which is similar in the descriptions of Jesus' crucifixion given in Matthew 27:31, Mark 15:20 and Luke 22:63; 23:36.

In Psalm 22:8, it says, "He trusts in the LORD; let the LORD rescue him. Let him deliver him, since he delights in him." In Matthew 27:43, Jesus' enemies taunted him by saying, "He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he wants him."

In Psalm 22:16, it speaks of a man who was numbered with the transgressors, meaning an innocent man being regarded as being one of a group of criminals. Jesus too was numbered with the transgressors when he was crucified next to two criminals, as described in Matthew 27:38, Mark 15:27, Luke 23:32 and John 19:18.

In Psalm 22:16, it speaks of a man whose hands and feet are either pierced, or mauled, or disfigured, depending on which is truly the best English translation of the original verse. In John 19:23,34,37 - Jesus' hands and feet were pierced with nails during the crucifixion process.

In Psalm 22:17, it speaks of a man who would be surrounded by others who stared and gloated at him. This too was the situation for Jesus during the crucifixion, according to Matthew 27:36 and Luke 23:35.

In Psalm 22:18, onlookers gamble for pieces of clothing that belonged to the person being persecuted. As explained in Matthew 27:35, Roman soldiers gambled (cast lots) for articles of Jesus' clothing while he was being crucified.

There are other descriptions in Psalm 22 that sound like an accurate description of what would happen to a person being crucified, such as the disjointing of bones, the drying up of a person's strength, an intense sense of thirst, a heart melting like wax (Jesus was stabbed in the heart with a sword during his crucifixion), and being "poured out" of one's body. When Jesus was stabbed in the heart with a sword, blood and water poured out from the wound.

As for the resurrection: In Psalm 16:10-11, the Bible talks of God's refusal to let His "Holy One" remain in a grave after death. This Psalm is believed to have been written about 1000 years before Jesus was born. New Testament writers believed that this Psalm foreshadowed the death and resurrection of Jesus. Resurrection means "brought back to life." There are several reports in the New Testament that say that Jesus was killed and placed in a tomb, but that God brought Jesus back to life a few days later. (See Matthew 28:5-8, Mark 16:5-6, Luke 24:1-7, or John 20:1-18)

Isn't all of this amazing?

That is a fair point you brought up. As many times as I've read Isaiah, it does not mention anything about His resurrection. However, I did find a website that does a *decent* job of explaining where in Hebrew Scriptures it prophesies the death and resurrection. I have posted the link below. If you scroll to the bottom of the page, it has 'Related Topics' that may help you with any further questions.

• AmJ

Who else would it be referring to?

Look at vers 3 for example:

He was despised and was avoided by men, a man meant for pains and for having acquaintance with sickness. And there was as if the concealing of one’s face from us. He was despised, and we held him as of no account.”

Does this apply to Jesus? For sure.

Isaiah's Prophecy Book-2*** ip-2 chap. 14 pp. 201-202 pars. 17-19 ***

Self-righteous religious leaders and their followers viewed him as the vilest of humans. They called him a friend of tax collectors and harlots. (Luke 7:34, 37-39) They spit in his face. They hit him with their fists and reviled him. They sneered and jeered at him. (Matthew 26:67) Influenced by these enemies of truth, Jesus’ “own people did not take him in.”—John 1:10, 11.

As a perfect man, Jesus did not get sick. Yet, he was “a man meant for pains and for having acquaintance with sickness.” Such pains and sicknesses were not his own. Jesus came from heaven into a sick world. He lived amid suffering and pain, but he did not shun those who were ailing, either physically or spiritually. Like a caring physician, he became intimately acquainted with the suffering of those around him. Moreover, he was able to do what no ordinary human physician can do.—Luke 5:27-32.

Nevertheless, Jesus’ enemies viewed him as the ailing one and refused to look upon him with favor. His face was ‘concealed’ from view but not because he hid his face from others. In rendering Isaiah 53:3, The New English Bible uses the phrase “a thing from which men turn away their eyes.” Jesus’ opposers found him so revolting that they, in effect, turned away from him as if he were too loathsome to look upon. They reckoned his worth at no more than the price of a slave. (Exodus 21:32; Matthew 26:14-16) They had less esteem for him than for the murderer Barabbas. (Luke 23:18-25) What more could they have done to demonstrate their low opinion of Jesus?

I could go on, but it is a whole chapter of information of how it is applied to Jesus Christ.

Also Daniel 9:24-27 is a prophecy linked to Jesus as the Messiah.

These are not a literal 70 weeks,

"The majority of Bible scholars agree that the “weeks” of the prophecy are weeks of years. Some translations read “seventy weeks of years” (AT, Mo, RS); the Tanakh, a new Bible translation published in 1985 by the Jewish Publication Society, also includes this rendering in a footnote.—See Da 9:24, ftn."

The information can be of great length but here is a shortened explanation:

Daniels prophecy foretells Messiah's Arrival:

http://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/appendix_02.htm

Also here is information about: Jesus Christ-The Promised Messiah

http://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/appendix_03.htm

Also, Jesus did not die on a cross, but a piece of wood, a stake, a pole(Greed word stauros)

Why True Christians Do Not Use the Cross in Worship:

http://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/appendix_05.htm

Hope this answers your questions

• unix

Eve in the garden was promised to be the mother of the one who would redeem mankind... the details were kept secret to enable their fulfillment. Had the enemy known fully how his down fall would play out do you think he would have allowed the crucufixion?

when God sent moses to tell pharaoh to let israel go he gave a warning of troubles to come. it took 10 plagues, and one drown pharaoh and his army for israel to begin to believe... even then the open declaration of their salvation was not fully believed or understood... 40yrs in the wilderness attests to that. only 2 of the original millions who left Egypt got the message and got to understand God and his promises... the same goes for the the Isaiah passage only a few people chose to believe the truth of Crucifixion.

Isaiah 53 says the suffering servant would atone for sin.

There are many prophesies of the coming Messiah Psalms 22 describes the crucifixion.

Abraham's sacrifice is a prophesy of the atonement of Christ.

The sign of Jonah is a prophesy of Christ.

There are many prophesies.

• Solar

Chapter 53

Isaiah speaks about the Messiah—His humiliation and sufferings are described—He makes his soul an offering for sin and makes intercession for the transgressors—Compare Mosiah 14.

The Old Testament is so cryptic, why even worry about it? It's good enough for me to know that Jesus fulfilled all of the prophesies in the Old Testament. I don't have to explore it and question it. I'm not that smart.

xtians mistranslated the Jewish TaNaKh to reflect paul's interpretations, just like muslims further mistranslated the xtian bible to reflect mohamed's interpretations.

Isaiah tells us many times that the nation of Israel is God's son, servant and light (teacher) to the nations. The suffering servant is Israel.

jesus is paul's hallucination. paul was Greek, jesus is a Greek name with the suffix 'sus' to honor the ancient Greek god, and a literal man/god of mythology. The first gospel was written about 100 years AFTER paul died (much like mohamed and the quran).

xtians think Isaiah 53 is about jesus because xtians have been indoctrinated to think that, and there is no correcting them, just like there is no correcting muslims.

Source(s): http://www.pocm.info ex-xtian

who else could it be but jesus christ.

the jewish religion ceased to exist in 70 a.d. the temple was destroyed , the sacrificing of animals stopped .

and what have we today in israel , fragmented groups of rabbis , acceptance of gay parades .

more jews in new york than in israel. secularism expanding , so how are they going to accept the new messiah when they allowed the real one to be executed .

" and the whole people said in reply."his blood be upon us and our children."

No Jesus is the Messiah.Not The Prophet as mention.

The suffering servant is Israel, Jacob

Isaiah 41:8 But thou, ISRAEL ART MY SERVANT, JACOB whom I have chosen, the seed of Abraham my friend. [9] [Thou] whom I have taken from the ends of the earth, and called thee from the chief men thereof, and said unto thee, Thou [art] my servant; I have chosen thee, and not cast thee away

[44:1] Yet now hear, O JACOB MY SERVANT; and Israel, whom I have chosen: [2] Thus saith the LORD that made thee, and formed thee from the womb, [which] will help thee; Fear not, O Jacob, my servant; and thou, Jesurun, whom I have chosen. (KJV)

[44:21] Remember these, O JACOBand Israel; for thou [art] my servant: I have formed thee; thou [art] my servant: O Israel, thou shalt not be forgotten of me. (KJV)

[45:4] For JACOB my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me. (KJV)

[49:3] And said unto me, Thou [art] my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified. (KJV)

Isaiah 52:1-15: Take this chapter all by itself, and it's fairly obvious that it speaks of Zion, or the Nation of Israel. This portion of scripture sets the stage for chapter 53. It makes no mention of the Messiah.

If Jesus had truly stated "My God My God why have you forsaken" me whilst on the cross, would you not consider that Jesus was asking God to SAVE HIM? And so God did!

See:

https://sites.google.com/site/sunrisinginwest/comp...