Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 9 years ago

Alternatives to Quorn meat, it makes me ill please help?

I have been a vegetarian for 2 years and have only just recently found out I have a bad reaction to Quorn meat (mince, sausages, burgers, chicken bites etc) because of the fungus/mushrooms in the fake meat I assume I'm allergic too cos fake meat is badly processed anyway. I get a bad stomach ache, puke and "go to the toilet a few times" if you know what I mean. This has happened on a few occasions. I was just wondering if there is any other "fake meat" I can eat that won't make me ill? I have never had problems eating Linda McCartney lasagna, so is any of the other stuff good, the sausages etc and what are the ingredients. sorry this is long, thanks (I'm from England by the way).

Favorite Answer

Seitan, Tempeh, TVP, Tofu or Soya Mince, I use all of these here in Canada, you could have an egg or mushroom allergy if there making you sick, I make lasagna with veggies, I roast them and grind to make them look like minced meat add some TVP (Textured Veg Protein, it looks like Scotch oatmeal) and make the sauce, layering with non what pasta sheets or Zucchini/Courgettes (large) as the pasta, I make it all veggie with no dairy or with cheese and ricotta in the layers, no eggs. You can buy rice noodle sheet in the Asian shops in the UK, my mates in Liverpool and London use them, we worked as chefs in international hotels, I visit and muck in every so often, even Bean curd sheets can be used for pasta also.

• Cougar

Some Quorn products contain egg - could be this that's the issue rather than the 'mushroom' element (it's not really mushroom)?

Quorn's one on its own; pretty much any other meat alternatives (TVP, tofu etc) have a different make-up.

I can remember eating linda mccartney stuff. which i don't think is made out of mushrooms, but i can't be sure

there are many choices boca, morning star, fantasic foods (you mix your own from dry). litelife, garden burger. go to the produce section, and frozen section of your grocery store. or look up recipes on line. and make your own.