Dead tooth hurts? Already had a root canal done on it? HELP?

I had a root canal done on one of my front teeth a few years ago, about six years ago. I never went back for a crown because I was still under my parents insurance and I had no idea you NEEDED a crown after a root canal. (Stupid, I know.) Now about a week ago, I got a tooth ache from it. Also, just to let you know,... show more I had a root canal done on one of my front teeth a few years ago, about six years ago. I never went back for a crown because I was still under my parents insurance and I had no idea you NEEDED a crown after a root canal. (Stupid, I know.) Now about a week ago, I got a tooth ache from it. Also, just to let you know, it has turned a slighty gray color. You can even tell in photos it looks different compared to my other front tooth. I called my dentist and they sent me antibiotics for it for ten days. I had such a bad pain in there. Also, I flossed it and on the other of my tooth it has turned brown between two teeth when its cleaned out and flossed.

I called my dentist, she was not in but her receptionist was and said there was a girl who had a crown and made payments of 50 dollars a month, so that they DO payment plans, which is very good! Im just worried that even though I had a root canal done on it, I may need it again. I went to the dentist in April and they did an xray on my tooth and it was fine. He said I DID need a crown but that the tooth had a successful root canal.

Any idea why it is hurting? Is it because it has turned brown and is a dead tooth now?