Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

How many people actually know what net neutrality is?

First let me explain that the internet is in the public domain. It is like a national park. Your internet provider whom you pay for access just charges for what they call the last mile to your house.

How many people think it is:

A. when the government forces Internet Service providers including you cell phone company to allow you to go to any server connected to the internet?

B. When the government allows your Internet Service Provider to restrict where you can go on the internet for profit.

C. Net neutrality has something to do with making certain that there are an equal number of Conservative and Liberal articles on the internet.

Which of these 3 are net neutrality?

The content is on the servers. The servers are not part of the internet. Sigh.

• ash

A is the closest; without net neutrality, providers can sell fast access to the highest bidder and cause the small guys who don't pay up to run slower, thereby favoring those with lots of cash and discriminating those who don't or can't ante up with the big bucks. Just what we need, money boys buying best internet access too.

• Jason

The correct answer is closest to A; although A isn't a completely accurate description.

Fundamentally, Net Neutrality is an extension of the non-discrimination policies that govern other utility industries to ensure that they do not exercise non-competitive business practices.

*sigh*

The internet is NOT public domain. 99% is private content that's (generally) made accessible to the public. Yahoo Answers is an example. You have no rights here. They can ban your account if you don't follow the rules they set. Private sites fully have the right to ban IPs of trouble makers. Private forums have no requirement to make their content public.

To answer your question, A is the most correct answer. Another aspect of net neutrality is ensuring ISP don't slow down the data transmission from certain servers. IE allowing data to transfer from MSNBC.com at full speed while only allowing it to transfer at quarter speed from Foxnews.com

Okay, then I'm off base here. We need to have a personal conversation about this. I'd rather learn than remain out in the cold.. sort of.

And there ya go.. Stung gives the answer that I'm aware of. I need proof otherwise.

none of the above

I'll go with D, but E and F look good too.