Mistaken identity - how to fix?

My daughter has the same first name as my son's ex-wife. When son got divorced, he moved back with us, and had his mail forwarded to our house. His ex had also moved but apparently not left a forwarding address, so hers got forwarded to us too. We returned hers to the post office. Daughter no longer lived... show more My daughter has the same first name as my son's ex-wife. When son got divorced, he moved back with us, and had his mail forwarded to our house. His ex had also moved but apparently not left a forwarding address, so hers got forwarded to us too. We returned hers to the post office. Daughter no longer lived with us when this happened.

Fast forward six years. Today my daughter got a letter from a firm supposedly tracing people who had money coming to them, envelope and letter addressed to her with her married name and current address (different city than ours but same state as us), but the letter described money owed to my son's ex (she and my daughter have different middle initials and the ex's middle initial was in the text of the explanation in the letter, the firm is in FL where my son and ex lived, we are in PA. The firm appears legit, with a high Better Business Bureau rating.

My questions are 1) how did their info get merged, and where 2) what can she do to find out where the merged info exists, and get the info un-merged 3) what trouble can this cause her in the future? She has checked her credit rpt with all 3 companies and nothing is out of line there. My daughter is understandably upset. Son's ex was arrested for cocaine some time after their split. None of us has any idea where she is now.