Car has poor gas mileage even though i changed the oil and air filter?

Hi i brought a V6 3.0l ford taurus 1996 about 3 weeks ago, the car drains out gas. I literally have to be spending $15 for gas every day or every other day depending on how many miles am driving. I recently changed the oil and air filter, the performance of the car has greatly improved by a lot, but the gas mileage has only improved just a little a bit, is there anything else I can do to improve the gas mileage?

There are literally hundreds of things that can cause poor fuel economy. The biggest factor is not even the vehicle, but rather the driving habits of the person(s) driving.

Assuming you drive with fuel economy is mind, and the vehicle itself is okay (no sticking brakes, transmission shifting properly, etc), also check other basic maintenance items such as spark plugs and wires, etc. If that still doesn't improve the fuel mileage, continue with diagnosis or take the vehicle to a shop that will check the vehicle over for you.

Changing the oil and air filter will only affect gas mileage a little bit.

With a V6, you should be getting a reasonable gas mileage.

Check the gas tank & lines, to see if there's a leak.

Or look on the ground for spots that might form from leaking gas.

Gas will evaporate, so don't look for a wet spot, just look for an oil stain left from evaporating gas.

If you don't find a gas leak, check your fuel filter.

Make sure it's clean, or buy a new one.

Source(s): me

Make sure theres no small gas leaks and if you're despret enough take out the back seats and it might you give like 2 more miles. Id just return it or do a trade in for a fuel efficient car. With the money you would be saving of getting 40-60 mpg you might aswell.

Another, expensive, problem with these engine's is carbon buildup in the combustion chamber. It is a standard failing of all internal combustion engines. Carbon from the fuel condenses out of the exhaust and deposits itself on whatever it can. If enough of it accumulates on the piston or the valves, it will change their shape, reducing power. This reduction in power will cause you to press on the gas pedal more to get the power you want, resulting in your lower fuel economy. If the carbon has been on there long enough, it will melt and turn into a glass crystal (obsidian) that can not be removed with fuel additive carbon cleaners. The only fix I know is to disassemble the engine down to having the heads off and scrape/wire brush/chisel(ouch) the piston tops and the combustion chambers of the head clean. Be careful, don't scratch or crack anything.

Source(s): Had something similar happen to a 1998 Tarus. Caused the head gaskets to blow, and clog the Cat converter with carbon. Once the gaskets were replaced and a new converter was installed, i doubled my fuel economy. 14mpg to 29.

Check tire pressure - 30 to 33#

Does the vehicle pull one direction? If so - check brakes to see if a caliper is sticking? After driving 10/15 miles, feel the wheel hubs to see is one is hotter than the others?

Not bad if you are driving 75 city miles a day?

GOTO: www.taurusowners.com

Communtiy of Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable owners from ALL generations.

How to, Why, etc... all questions and problems can be found out!

• gary

Which 3.0 do you have? My mother has the basic 3.0 and gets mid 20's mpg.

My sister had the SHO and gets about 18mpg.

Besides cap, rotor, and sparkplugs, also check the O2 sensor.

• d

plugs-cap- rotor-wires