HELP!! The drivers side door on my car wont close?

Okay so today was the first really cold day of the year. When going to open my car door, I practically had to yank it open because it was frozen shut. When I got in my car and tried to close the door, it would not close. It seemed as if something was jammed in the latch. I drive a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire. It looked... show more Okay so today was the first really cold day of the year. When going to open my car door, I practically had to yank it open because it was frozen shut. When I got in my car and tried to close the door, it would not close. It seemed as if something was jammed in the latch. I drive a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire.

It looked something like this: http://tinypic.com/r/210ylnk/7

I had to tie the door shut so I could drive home. How can I fix this???? What could have caused this??? It is starting to get very cold and I would appreciate it if my door would close!!
Thank you so much!!!!
Update: Could the cold weather have anything to do with this?