? asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

I'm ashamed to be British!!!?

I hate this country, if you aren't 1) related to someone in industry or 2) know someone in industry, or 3) rich and wealthy, then there's only one place for you, unemployment or under-employment. It doesn't matter how good you are, what your grades are, all that matters is the 3 things above, and if you haven't got one of them, you will NOT get your foot in the door!

I got a first, i have a great CV and have tried every job searching techniques there is. I remain under-employed.

• Crue-K

Your situation is typical of many in the UK. You do all that is required plus more, in the hope of securing a good job so you can get on in life. Alas, we are all victims of successive Governments who can never make their minds up where their priorities lie. Unemployment is rising yet the Government are hell bent on reducing the welfare bill, rather than investing in new jobs. Expect this current economic and employment climate to continue for a good few years. Or as Ian Duncan Smith wisely said "get on a bus", what a t w a t!!!!

This is Britain for you, the only thing most Brits care about is money and status, the more they have the more they want. Especially in the South and even more so in London. The idea that we live in a meritocracy is a sick joke really, look at those in power over us, can you see any intelligence and merit in them? If I was you I would move abroad to a country that will recognise your skills, this country will not do that.

Are you prepared to go abroad. Have you thought about Australia a young and vibrant country which seems to recognise talent and embrace it.

I don't know if there is much on the web, but why don't you contact Australia House in London for job opportunities.

In the meantime don't give up on the UK, to find work will be all the sweeter.

Keep at it. Have you ever considered working remotely for a company located in the U.S.? Every country has their faults and flaws. The class system, the who-you-knows, etc exists everywhere You just have to keep trying. It's not a British thing, so do not be ashamed of being British. I admire the British people greatly, even if the gov't has someth8ing to be desired.

Source(s): Life

I don't blame you. And with the whole Job Scheme thing coming into affect soon I'd hate to be in that situation. I hate the government but I love being English, it's where I was born and where I grew up. Keep looking for a job, they have a habit of turning up when you stop looking sometimes. : ) x

That's America too, sweetie. I went to college and a degree and all of that, and two years later I'm still looking for a job. :(

However, my best friend's step-mother is a very important and influential person in their area, so even though my friend has no college education, she got a job almost immediately.

~Ness

what are you talking about? im 22, i left school with standard gcses and i have worked my way up from day 1 with no help. my parents split at 11, and my mum is a nurse and i lived with her. my dad fucked off and ive never had any help from him. i work in a brokerage selling investments to people and i did my cefa by myself. i have never had any help from anyone and i am now bringing home 2000 a month plus my commission. maybe you don't want it enough/ maybe you are ready to give up and moan. honestly do not give up, there is somewhere that will take you in, and when they do give them everything, don't belate, just work hard and you will be rewarded

I agree with you fully, but you have forgot to mention the shambles that is the government.

and to think i wanted to move to london cuz i love everything about it.daaaaamn never mind then if its hard to get a job

Im sorry. I think you need to relax and just try your best, think positively!!!

Source(s): Hope it helps! ^_^ -Sila