lisa h asked in PetsReptiles · 9 years ago

Can you keep a Blue Tongue and a Bearded Dragon together?

My son has a Blue Tongue Lizard who is about 1 year old, and we are thinking of getting a Bearded Dragon, and was wondering if they can live together in the same tank?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best answer

This is not a good idea for multiple reasons

1) they are two very different species, therefore need different care and temps, therefore the enclosure would be too cold for one of the lizards, and too hot for the other, which would lead to health issues

2) Due to the fact that they are seperate species, and the fact that you would have gotten them from seperate places, then they most likely cary very different types of bacteria and even parasites in their bodies. This is a problem because reptiles along with other animals can pick up parasite and bacteria from poop laying on the ground, therefore the skink could get a parasite from the bearded dragon's poop, or vise versa. Also, a parasite that resides in a blue tongued skink, may not be very detrimental to the health of the skink, but it could be very unhealthy for the dragon, and may even kill it.

Due to these two reasons, and many more, i highly suggest that you do not keep the blue tongued skink, and a bearded dragon in the same enclosure

Source(s): i have been keeping reptiles for over 17 years, feel free to email me at wolfyman10@yahoo.com
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

No, Your blue tongue and your bearded dragon would fight causing injury or possible even deaf. They will become annoyed wit you because they will be to busy fighting and will not want anything to do with you. The second reason is the fact that they have different care and lighting ways. If you were going to keep them together one will die in a matter of time. These two reasons is why i highly suggest keeping them in separate quarters. The bearded dragon will cost around $125 just for the setup and not the bearded dragon the max would be $300 Though they cost a lohey are great pets hope you havefun with your reptiles

Source(s): sorry about the spelling
  • 9 years ago

No. I'm assuming your tank is a 50 gallon or so. In that case the two of them will be close together and that would cause some territory issues that could cause some conflicts. They also have different needs so one of them wouldn't be getting the proper habitat. Most of the time you shouldn't house two different species in the same habitat.

• Alex
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

No, they both have very different habitat needs and they will fight.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.