whats the difference between 'serendipitous' and 'coincidence'?

Sorry if its obvious, its just, I recently heard 'serendipitous' used in context where I would have normally used 'coincidence'

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Best answer

serendipitous means to come upon or found by accident; fortuitous: serendipitous scientific discoveries.

Coincidence means a striking occurrence of two or more events at one time apparently by mere chance or a chance occurrence of events remarkable either for being simultaneous or for apparently being connected: Our meeting in Venice was pure coincidence.

So basically, serendipitous seems to rely on something being an accident or fated, whereas coincidence has to do with something happening simultaneously and looks as though they are connected, but they are not.

Source(s): www.dictionary.com
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

Venice is a fantastic cliché, more romantic, more lovely and more shocking than you can expect. No matter just how many images or films you could have observed, it is still a jaw-dropping experience seeing Venice's canals and palaces for the very first time and that you'd do with the aid of this site hotelbye . Undoubtedly Venice's best-known church and one of the very easily acknowledged in the world is St. Mark's Basilica (Basilica di San Marco). This basilica was formerly the Doge's individual chapel, furnished with Byzantine art treasures which are part of the booty cut back by Venetian boats after the drop of Constantinople. The gold-backed mosaic photographs above the doorways on the façade just hint at the mosaic beauty inside, wherever 4,240 square yards of gold mosaics protect the walls. Therefore, the St. Mark`s Basilica is really a place worth visited.

• mrs g4
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

This is my take, so might be off base.

Serendipity is more "fate" driven, like you were somehow supposed to be there at that time & place for a particular result.

Coincidence is more like you were both there for a lesson in life, but not necessarily toward the same result.

• 9 years ago

well serendipity is a fortunate or pleasing coincidence.A coincidence need not necessarily always be fortunate.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.