Is it safe to eat from a pot that was really mouldy?

I'm a student and I don't really get the chance to cook. When I do, it's usually once a month and the rest of the time I'm living off of sandwiches, raw fruit/veg and take out.

So I cooked some rice in a pot three weeks ago and didn't wash it afterwards (exams and just plain laziness were the culprits). There were only a few rice grains in it to start with. I opened it today (with support from my friend) and it was really green and fuzzy inside. Quite scary actually.

I was thinking of just throwing it away, but the thing is I'm in a situation where I really need to cook what's left in my fridge before I leave for the holidays. . .Would it be dangerous to cook food in it again (after I wash it, of course)?

Bonus: Do you have any tips on how to safely clean a mouldy pot?

Thanks for answering! :)

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best answer

    Sure, if you clean it properly first. Hot water, dish soap, bit of bleach if you're absolutely paranoid, dish cloth or scrubbing pad. Rinse well. Metal doesn't absorb bacteria or mould.

  • 9 years ago

    No it's not safe, because of the bacteria in it, but if you wash it with hot water or bleach it, it should be ok! :)

    Directions to how to wash the pot:

    Get used to cleaning those kitchen tools and kettles for better health. Scrub the pot with a scouring powder such as Bar Keepers Friend and clean it until it sparkles clean. Rinse with hot water and dry it out. Nothing is too difficult to keep clean if you learn to do it regularly everyday.

    This really is a daily cleaning routine for everyone to learn to do when using your kitchen ware.

    After all you are helping yourself to have the tools cleaned everyday for the use of cooking and giving yourself a meal.

    Source(s): me!!!!!!
  • Clean it well, wash 2-3 times even. To make extra sure fill it to the top and boil water for 5-10 min.

    Safe to use.

  • Russ
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    A thorough washing is all that is needed. Use HOT water.

    Sometimes soaking in water for a few hours will help loosen the old food.

    If you are in doubt, boil some water in the pot after a thorough washing.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 years ago

    the place are you retaining your rolls? Freeze them while you're actually not making plans on making use of them. while you're speaking approximately Pillsbury form rolls that are sealed and dated, you may open the roll suitable away, wrap them properly and then freeze them. they'll final properly after the freezer burn. Yeast is going dormant at low temps, and bacteria won't improve. i admire my bread doughy, so I flow away it out and often i locate mildew. the 1st difficulty I do is toss out the slices that are moldy, then wipe out the bag with a dry paper towel, then I placed the different slices decrease back. This works, the bread will final yet another week or so. whilst i don't, the mildew spreads and in an afternoon or 2 the entire bag is green.

  • 9 years ago

    Soap & water should had done the job. Besides the heat while cooking would kill what ever living organisms were left.

  • 9 years ago

    soap and water.

    metal is not porous so the mold is on the surface only.

    If you feel the urge, add about a teaspoon of chlorine bleach to the water. That will sanitize and deodorize it.

  • 9 years ago

    Sure, just scrape off the mold, and eat in on a cracker with a lil cheez whiz..mmmm, mold and cheeeeez whiiiiizzzzz.....

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    just clean it with soap & hot water

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YmMNpbFjp0

    Youtube thumbnail

  • 9 years ago

    i would bleach it. then wash it, the it is safe to eat..

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.