promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Buddhism a religion or way of life?

Buddhism is based more on living a good life,than a god. so is it a relegion or way of life?

Update:

Technicaly it is a relegion in my countary, but in every other religion there is a god(s), but not in buddhism. It depends what you think makes a religion.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favourite answer

Religion!!!!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

It would be incorrect to conclude that Buddhism is a way of life. While it does not have a god or gods who are worshipped, it does retain a distinct cosmology, the cycle of samsara, realms of gods, asuras, ghosts and hell. The daily life of a Buddhist does contain much less worship than that of other religions but that in no way marks it as a philosophy or a way of life.

• chanda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

All religions are meant to be “a existence-type,” faith is a branch of philosophy below the class of theology. regrettably the followers of maximum religions do not prepare what their religious philosophy/doctrine says. Buddhism is barely seen as distinctive because of the fact it particularly is comparatively new to u . s . and persons indexed here are nonetheless new to meditation and the philosophies as appropriate to Buddhism. fact is a few Buddhist do have faith in God yet maximum folk do not, and in basic terms like all different faith Buddhism is fragmented into distinctive denominations with fairly distinctive ideals in each sect or denomination. maximum Buddhist don't have faith human beings have something mentioned as a “soul,” yet some Buddhist sects do have faith in a soul. Mahayana Buddhism is one sect or denomination and Theravada Buddhism is yet another sect or denomination. there is likewise Tibetan Buddhism, Vajrayana Buddhism, and Zen Buddhism just to call some. Western Buddhism, as practiced here in the U.S. and in Europe, is speedy turning out to be a clean separate sect of Buddhism with tips from itself. The Pali textual content Society. Is to blame for bringing Buddhism to the west in ernest in the process the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Buddhism is a faith whose followers prefer to have it stand out and apart from different religions, so that they say it particularly is a existence-type, a philosophy, and not a faith, nonetheless specific Buddhist sects or denominations have all the dynamics of a faith.

• 10 years ago

It can be both, but it is possible to follow Buddhist philosophy without any religious aspect or to combine facets of Buddhism alongside any other religion. That is its uniqueness.

For myself I find that the rituals of Buddhism help me to concentrate on where I am going with it all, which is, for the Buddhist, to find enlightenment, not to worship any deity.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Check the laws in your country. Do they tax or not tax Buddhist temples in the same way they handle Catholic Churches?

You can philosophize all you want, but if your country recognizes your organization as a religion, guess what? For all practical purposes, you're a religious group and you practice a religion.

• 10 years ago

Both. If a person doesn't got faith he can leave Buddhism. But If he doesn't practise he can't understand dhamma. Sorry about my English.

• 10 years ago

Buddhism is a practise , you practise Buddhism.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Way of Life

Source(s): Buddhism isn't a religion because it adapts to the culture it imprints itself on. There is no god in Buddhism, although regional forms will include one. It doesn't meet the requirements for being a religion.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Why can't it be both? It depends on how devout one is.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.