How do i tell my parents im depressed?

By them, Im referring to my parents. Ive been depressed for a while now, and i cant seem to shake it. I'm not going into detail because i dont want to talk... but, how do i tell my parents im depressed?Last week my dad took me to the doctor for a check up and we discussed the headaches ive been having and how tired i get.... they didnt know why, i do...but how do i say it?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best answer

"Mom, Dad, I need to tell you something important. I've been having really bad thoughts and feelings for a while now, and I just feel like I'm never happy. When I feel sad it's not normal sad, it goes way beyond that to a level I can't control and have a really hard time getting out of. I think it may be causing my headaches and being tired all the time, too. Will you make another appointment for me with my doctor, or maybe with a psychiatrist? I just really need to talk to someone."

• 9 years ago

The best way to tell them you're depressed is to tell them straight up. They are your parents and they will fully understand and you'll feel the best if you just do that. The more you talk to them about it and the more details you tell them the more they can help you and the better you'll feel.

Tell your mom or dad that you'd like to talk to them and just get comfortable on a couch in a living room or family room.

Depression is an issue that can be solved and there are many resources for it! Hope happiness shines in your near future!

Source(s): Medical Student
  • 9 years ago

Write them a note. Simply state that you are depressed and need their help. Can they please make an appointment with a psychologist for you. The faster you do this the better. I have suffered from depression since I was a kid. Depression is hard to deal with especially if you are doing it alone. In the meantime try to write your feelings down in a journal. If you have a friend you trust talk to your friend. I wish you the best of luck please do this ASAP. I want you to feel better. Big hug. You are not alone.

• 9 years ago

Just b honest. That's the best way, honesty is flawless. and you shouldnt be depressed, things happen for a reason, just be positive about everything, even in total darkness you can always find a little bit of light. There is no happiness in pessimism..

Source(s): me
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Perhaps if you are more comfortable speaking to one parent than the other, try speaking to one of them first. It might be difficult, but just try to be honest and tell them that you haven't been quite yourself lately. Try to explain that you can't make the feeling go away and that you are serious about this.

Hope I've helped and that you can get the help you need.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Tell them about it. Really, it might seem hard, but it isn't. Worse thing that can happen is your parents are like me and will beat the depression out of you.

• 9 years ago

Share your symptoms with your parents, tell them that due to you having these symptoms you think you are suffering from depression and you want help. I've included a link to one of the many checklists of symptoms available.

Source(s): Signs of Depression Checklist http://www.nmha.org/index.cfm?objectid=c7df958c-13...
  • 9 years ago

i had depression for the longest time.though my parents just realized i was depressed on their own. just try to talk to them more and whats on ur mind.it, possible it will help.if anything u might need to take a medication.just dont over dose on purpose if its not working. not the smartest thing! experience.hope it helps

• 9 years ago

Don't look here for answers...Just say it to your parents and discuss about it. They will help you.believe me. Hope you'll be better soon.:)

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

just talk and discuss to your parents. they will understand after all they are your parents

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.