promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 10 years ago

Implantation bleeding or menstrual cycle?

I am going with menstrual cycle but I would like others' opinions.

Had sex in Aug. unprotected.

No ejaculation.

Condom was repeatedly taken on/off (retarded, eh)

Had sex 5 days before what was suppose to be my period..

Ended up 10 days late.

Now have new cycle, I guess (at beginning of month now)

2nd time having a period.

Usual PMS symptoms, heavy bleeding, usual 4 day length.

Started on the 7th last month and this month.

Wait.. I think I am making myself look like an idiot. Sounds very menstrual

like to me. Do you people agree?

Also, when spotting.. how often do you spot, how long does it last, and how light/heavy can the bleeding be? Just curious.

Thanks.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favourite answer

Implantation bleeding is just one of several typical pregnancy symptoms and it usually happens around 6-12 days after ovulation and fertilization.

What is Implantation?

When the egg is released from the ovary, it travels down the fallopian tube toward the uterus. If the egg meets up with a viable sperm during the trip and the egg is fertilized, it will attempt to implant in the lining of the uterus. Implantation happens on average about 9 days after ovulation/fertilization and is required for the fetus to continue to grow. If implantation is not successful, the egg will flush out of the body with the normal menstrual flow.

The lining of the uterus is rich in blood and nutrients. When the fertilized egg enters the uterus, the egg "sticks" the this lining, referred to as the endometrial lining. The endometrial lining is the same lining that sheds every month during the menstrual cycle if a fertilized egg does not implant. Implantation occurs between 6 to 12 days after the egg is fertilized.

Due to the blood rich nature of the endometrial lining, a few drops of blood could move through the cervix and down the vagina. This blood is referred to as implantation bleeding and is a common sign of pregnancy. The blood will not appear red, but rather a darker brown or black due to the time it takes to move from the uterus out of the body.

Implantation is the attachement of the fertilzed egg (called a blastocyst, a cluster of tiny cells, smaller than the head of a pin) when it has completed its travel through the fallopian tube and attaches to the lining of the uterus.

Implantation bleeding and spotting is vaginal discharge that usually contains small amount of pinkish or brownish blood. Only about a third of all pregnant women experience this implantation bleeding. Some women report some bleeding or spotting around the time of implantation, the so called "implantation bleeding".

Implantation bleeding is often brown in color though some mention it to be more reddish.

Implantation bleeding, also called implantation spotting, does not look like a regular menstrual period. Implantation bleeding is scanty and usually pink or brownish discharge.

Implantation Signs and Symptoms

Signs of implantation or possible pregnancy include:

1. Implantation cramps: small cramps inside the uterus

2. Implantation spotting or bleeding: Short brief spotting (a couple of drops of light or dark blood)

3. A second temperature shift on the temperature curve

4. A temperature dip at about seven to ten days after ovulation

Most women have no subjective symptoms at the time of implantation, no bleeding or cramps, but some women report some drops of blood, the so-called implantation bleeding while others report small cramps.

These symptoms can happen with or without conception and implantation and of these symptoms and these chart patterns frequently occur on charts that do not result in pregnancy.

When does implantation bleeding happen?

Implantation and implantation bleeding occur on average about 9 days after ovulation (range between 6-12 days), which is about a week to a few days before your period would normally start. Spotting that occurs around a week after ovulation can be implantation bleeding; whereas spotting that occurs much later and a couple days before your period would normally start may not be. A normal menstrual cycle generally starts off light and then gets heavier. Spotting can sometimes be the sign of an early period. If this is the case, the spotting will pick up to heavier bleeding. If you have spotting right around the time your period would normally start, it can be more confusing. You will need to take the wait and see approach or take a pregnancy test to determine pregnancy.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 10 years ago

Definitely periods. some women spot about 7 to 9 days after their periods, Usually lasts a day or so and should be very light. If it's heavy, prolonged or troublesome, go and see your GP or family planning nurse.

• 10 years ago

Implantation bleeding lasts 1-2 days and is usually brown/pink. If you have a normal heavy flow, it's just your period, not implantation.

The only way to know for sure would be to take a pregnancy test.

• asrai
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Magic 8 ball please give me the answer ...

Take a test.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.