Colposcopy..why did my cervical biopsy hurt so bad?

I had my first ever smear test and the results came back abnormal so had to go to hospital for a Coloscopy. I wasn't worried as i read and researched all about it on what to expect as such. (I was very nervous with the smear as it was my first ever but the nurse was fantastic and supportive all the way through... show more I had my first ever smear test and the results came back abnormal so had to go to hospital for a Coloscopy. I wasn't worried as i read and researched all about it on what to expect as such. (I was very nervous with the smear as it was my first ever but the nurse was fantastic and supportive all the way through and i got the impression the Colposcopy would be similar)

Getting to hospital and in the room we had a brief chat and got started..the chair looked like some scary thing from a dentist horror movie all brown worn down leather.
At first she had difficulty with the speculum, my body kept pushing it out, she kept telling me to relax but if you ask me i think its the way your led, slightly bent unlike my first smear i was flat on my back with no problems. She had difficulties finding my cervix so needed a longer speculum to my horror but she reassured me that taller women can tend to be "Deeper" than others.
Anyway it was in, and then one of the nurses asked me if i'd like to see my cervix, i agreed, grossed me out for a few seconds but then i was fascinated. i saw a big white lump around my cervix which she was trying to scrape off thinking it was just mucus but it was solid, with that she said i needed a Biopsy..

I wasn't too botherd as she and all the info i read said it would be just a slight uncomfortable pinch..

She showed me a long thin instrument with a thicker end with what looked like teeth and other end with scissor like handles and in she went. she kept telling me to cough and i heard a click noise and a big shooting pain that made me flinch. i started to shake a little as i found it quite painfull, on the end i saw a tiny tiny piece of flesh on the end about the size of one of those little white balls you'd find in a bean bag.
She then said to the nurse she needed to do it again! in she went.. but my god this time the pain was intense! it went on a couple of seconds longer than the last one and i slid up the chair saying OW OW PLEASE STOP then started shaking and burst into tears. The tissue she took was a lot bigger and the instrument was covered in blood.
Why Did this hurt so much??
After dressing we talked, the doctor then went on in telling me i may need a similar procedure done where i have some of my cervix removed, as the cells may be a problem and its a step to get rid for good ( i dont remember much about it to be honest or the name for that procedure, a blur as i couldn't get over what had happened) i panicked and one of the nurses said i would be injected but im not fond of needles and then she said i could be put to sleep. the doctor then said it would be my best option as i didn't take this so well..i felt really stupid when she said that like i was some wimp?
Even my mum was shocked by my pain, she had the same biopsy done, yet the doc injected her first leaving the room to let it kick in so she was all numb for hers? and she only had the one biopsy done with very little or any blood?

I dont want to scare any of you girls by this if you've never had one, i just want to know why this hurt so much, has anyone experienced this before?
Update: Thanks for your reply kim, it helped to know that it wasnt just me being silly.. not that i'd wish it on you or anyone. Also, im glad your results just come back normal, some good news.