Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Do Christians who want state-mandated school prayer need reminding what Jesus said about public prayer?

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

So if making a big show of how pious you are is a no-no, how is using the state to make children pray any better?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthe...

Update:

And the politicians who use issues like this muster support come election time aren't using prayer and religion in a hypocritical manner? Last I checked, hot-button social conservative issues get a lot of talk, but not a lot of follow through once the elections over.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best answer

i think it is a very stupid idea to make prayers in schools. mainly because there are people with different beliefs and cultures. making the entire school pray wouldn't be fair to half the school who don't believe in god or believe in another god...

• 4 years ago

Well see I think everyone should have the right to believe and follow what they please, but if a person is really invested in wanting their child to be able to pray in school, they can simply send them to a private school. where its more than likely required anyway. Here is how I like to explain it to those who think prayer should be required in schools. What if a school required your child to pray to another deity besides what your beliefs held (such as satan, buddah, or any other in which you didn't believe or approve of). How would that make you feel? This lets people see how it feels from the other side, besides their own. Of course they wouldn't like it and probably would do anything in their part to stop it. I think a child has the right if they wish to pray before a meal or anything, but to be a requirement is another thing. See the bad thing about this, is prayer still happens even though it has been removed from schools. I've only been out of high school a few years and I remember having to attend an assembly where the lady actually asked all those that were christian to stand up. Then she got them to sit down and did a prayer, telling everyone to bow their heads. I think this is the type of prayer that shouldn't be allowed, not each individual wanting to pray for themselves or even a group of people who get together to pray. It's is when it is 'mandatory' or forced upon everyone when it should be disallowed.

• 9 years ago

Jesus was talking about the hypocritical Pharisees that loved to show the people how special and how holy they were. Jesus called these same so-called religious leaders vipers. It was also these same people who were responsible for crucifying Jesus. They were not really praying to God, but putting on a show to make others think that they were better than all the other people. Their motives were perverted and wrong. They were not trying to glorify God but only trying to glorify themselves.

Praying in public is not wrong. Jesus and his apostles prayed in public all the time. The difference is that they were praying in public to truly glorify God and the hypocritical Pharisees were only trying to glorify themselves with a public spectacle.

• 9 years ago

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

Proverbs 22:5-7

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Here we go again!!

Another "know-it-all" child who takes one Scripture out of its context and attempts to begin an entire philosophy based on this one out of context Scripture.

Child, if you read the entire passage, you will discover that Jesus is speaking to, and about, people who "make a show" about praying loudly in public. The passage you quoted has NOTHING to do with people in general praying in public.

Go learn what a Scripture actually says before mis-quoting it in public.

Go in peace.

And, always remember: -- Jesus loves you!!

Sincerely,

Uncle Floyd

JESUS IS LORD!!

• 9 years ago

It's not. It's forcing religion,. therefore not only denying the Bible, but denying the childrens rights to freedom of religion.

Source(s): Wiccan since age 15
  • 9 years ago

Either way, right-wing Christians are like capitalist consumerist Buddhists.

There's something not quite right there.

• 9 years ago

This is why religion is synonymous with social paralysis.

• 9 years ago

They need reminding what Jesus said. Period.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

ew never said that...we can pray anywhere we want in our heads...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.