Second day as Office manager, I need advice on Terminating someone, Bosses said it's my call.?

Well, On Friday , I was Promoted to Office Manager For Foster Watch INC. There is another guy named Rick Who applied for the Job, But they gave the spot to me for " reasons". Well, Friday was my first day, ( Keep in mind Rick and I used to both Be in the same position). And My Boss told me to Get the Employees together for a Company Intro, and let everyone know that I had been promoted, and I can Answer Future questions. Well, During the meeting Rick was staring at me with his eyes looking very blood shot, and his fist were clinched. And after we wrapped everything up, he stormed out of the room before everyone else and slammed the door. Everyone else was like,,, Whoa. So About 5 minutes later I see on my Office Phone there is a message. This is Exactly what Rick Left me on my Machine... --- You've got Nothing to Live for, Because Everyday, when you wake up, and look in the mirror, and see that toothless, Deliverance , Hoosier Mother F*ucker staring back at you, You've got, no reason to live". HANG UP... Funny thing is I'm Not Toothless, Im 29 Years old, He is in his 50's. I talked to my new secretary and let her listen to it and she was frightened. She told me I needed to talk to Our Boss ASAP.I called My Boss and spoke to him, he did not hear the voicemail, but he told me that it's my call. Some Part of me though, I feel bad, Rick is Married and has Kids in High school, And i know his wife is a House-mom. Rick has borrowed money from me in the past, He has paid me back always, but because he was struggling to pay his bills. So How should I handle this situation?

The first question you need to ask yourself is whether, outside of this instance, Rick is a valued asset for the firm. If so, then you need to consider the cost inherent in firing him (cost of finding a replacement, lost productivity while you look for a replacement, cost of training his replacement, etc.).

If Rick's value to the firm is minimal, you could just call him in (if there is security in your building have them on standby), play the message for him and say that the message was unprofessional and that because of the threatening nature of the message coupled with it's unprofessionalism, you are letting him go. Then have him escorted back to his work area to pick up any personal items (one trip, everything else will be inventoried and returned to him) and escorted out the door (obviously confiscating any company ID he may have.

If Rick does have value to the firm, you might want to take a different approach. Give him another 24 hours to calm down (it also gives you a chance to mull over what you want to say and approach everything rationally rather than emotionally). Then call him in for a face-to-face meeting. Again play the message back to him. Express calmly your displeasure with the tone of the message. Address the issue at hand directly- namely he is upset that he was not promoted. The fact that you were promoted over him was not your decision, although you did apply for the job. Suggest that if he has a problem with the decision, he needs to speak to the person who made the decision. Next, address how the two of you will work together going forward. Express your desire to have a congenial work relationship, but tat you can't let your past friendship interfere in how your business relationship must proceed. Say that you will expect that he will continue to work at the quality level he is accustomed to working at. Address any concerns he may have in a rationale manner, but don't make promises that you are not sure that you can keep.

If he cannot handle the new relationship or working conditions, suggest that he might therefore be comfortable in another area of the firm and that you will assist in any way possible to make that happen (maybe approach your boss about getting Rick a transfer if that is what Rick wants) but again, make no promises, just say that you will help.

Obviously, this is a tentative and sensitive situation - you need to leave emotions at the front door of the workplace and address this logically and unemotionally as possible. If you think that Rick is as volatile as the message seems to be, you need to make sure you have a sage/secure workplace and firing Rick may be the best thing. If you think this was a one-off reaction from Rick about being passed over for the promotion, that is a different matter.

Once a problem, always a problem. I would let him go. It is not your concern what happens to him, only that you keep the workplace safe and in good morale, which is not likely to happen with him around. It will just get harder because he will think he can get away with this behavior. He is 50 years old and still having temper tantrums at work. Not a sign of maturity or a good worker. He has borrowed money from you; yes, he paid it back,but not a sign of good decision making that he got himself in a bind that he has had to borrow money. Everyone else in the company saw his inappropriate behaviour when he left the meeting. Letting him stay shows them you are "afraid" of him and supplies that message that they also can be disrespectful, insubordinate, and unprofessional. Let him go and move on. You are not responsible for him and don't let him guilt trip you into thinking so. If he continues to threaten you, call the police. Now we know why you recieved the promotion and he didn't.

• Ewa

I don't know if you can think a good enough excuse for 2 days of no show/no call. They are going to want to know why you didn't call at all the first day. Most employers would have called you to find out where you were, if they didn't you can just assumed they moved on. IF you want to keep the job, the best you can do is BEG.

You need to have your boss listen to the recording. It sounds like there may be real security and safety issues going on.

Assuming what you say is true, this guy needs to go. A workforce where everybody's scared that one individual might go off on them will descend into dysfunction very quickly.

It's wrong for your boss to put you into that position. You're promoted to manager, then you're supposed to immediately fire the person who wanted the job. Great. Now you look like you're going on a clear cutting operation when that's not the case. You should be given a chance to earn some trust.

Could it be this guy's been on the way out for a long time? If your boss is doing this because he's too timid to fire the guy himself, you could have even bigger problems.

Source(s): Been there. Was promoted to manager at a very young age for a division that was about to go belly up. Guess who got blamed.

I am a Business Coach and would like to offer some ideas. I am able to empathize with situations but hold others accountable for acceptable behavior. He clearly used poor judgement in his way of dealing with things. I would suggest you meet with him and follow this formula:

1. Invite him to meet with you (don't act overly concerned).

2. Share something you think is great about him as a worker to open the conversation.

3. Share your latest observation that staff has brought to your attention (you said staff noticed).

4. Communicate that it has some fact basis as you received his private message to you. (Don't talk about this to others in the office, creates gossip. If they ask at this point, mention it is resolved with no further details). Mention that you want to ease any stress about the promotion between you and that you need his support.

5. Ask his input.

6. Share that upper management has noticed and expects there to be no conflict.

7. Create ideas together on how to make it work for the future. If needed, establish a follow up date to check in and see how it is going.

8. End the conversation by stating something positive about him again.

9. If he continues, the next meeting is a written game plan for his file and you would mention that upper management is requesting a change in his behavior. Mention you want to support him in making a positive shift to ensure his employment.

Good Luck!

Source(s): Janet Payne Business/Relationship Coach makerain1@yahoo.com
  • Judy

I'd give him a few days to cool off, then sit down and talk to him about the situation. You obviously know each other reasonably well if he's borrowed money from you in the past. While what he did was way out of line, he's probably regretting it. Firing him would be a bad start to your new job.

• TedEx

He goes! Such behavior is totally unacceptable, no matter what the circumstances.

Let him stay and you have weakened your authority right from day # 1..

Since your boss is leaving it up to you, you have the need and opportunity to show him you have the strength to do the unpleasant things which are part of management. And if you can't handle firing someone, then his next move might to find someone who can.

Hey, screw Rick and his personal financial situation. He should have thought about it before he shot off his mouth.

You allow Rick to resign " for personal reasons" and in return you will not contest his claim for unemployment.

I would wait. Sounds like he just was very mad that you got the job and not him, particularly if he is older than you and maybe also has been longer with the company he may have been counting on it.

If it's a one-time occurrence I would forgive him and bank it up to insufficient self control and severe disappointment, if he keeps bothering you and probably also not working with you, you would need to put him on notice and tell him that if he doesn't behave he will get fired.

I would not let this just go unaddressed. This would be like telling him his behavior is acceptable. Because you are directly involved in the incident (rather than 2 employees below you being involved) this should be the responsibility of your boss to handle. Hopefully when your boss said that it is your call, he meant whether or not you wanted him (your boss) to pursue something with Rick. Rick needs some permanent record of this in his file.