Is London The Capital City Of Scotland?

I dont understand the UK. I mean i go on wikipedia and it says the Capital city of the uk Is London and yet people say it is not the Capital city of scotland so that would mean its not the Capital city of the uk. right?

I know scotland joined up with England to make the union so i guess it Edinburgh was the Capital of scotland before the union was made but it cant be the Capital now as London is the Capital of the UK.

im a american - Yes american

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favourite answer

This is, what, the fourth time you've asked this question?

I can't be bothered answering again.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 10 years ago

Here is a basic version of how it works.

England has a capital city which is London. Wales has a capital city which is Cardiff. Scotland has a capital city which is Edinburgh. Northern Ireland has a capital city which is Belfast. England, Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland together make up the United Kingdom. The main seats of Government for the United Kingdom are in London, therefore London is considered the capital city of the UK.

London is not the capital city of Scotland, Edinburgh is.

Great Britain (or just Britain) is the island that is made up of England, Scotland and Wales. Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain.

• Josh
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Okay Scotland is part of the UK. The UK's Capital is London. Scotland's Capital is Edinburgh.

So think of it as a bit like the State capital of Georgia is Atlanta and the Capital of the US is Washington DC

UK-London

England-London

Scotland-Edinburgh

Wales-Cardiff

Northern Ireland-Belfast.

The reason for this at apart from historic reasoning is Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and London all have devolved Governments. England is split into regions but each region has yet to be given devolved government and hence its own capital.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is London The Capital City Of Scotland?

I dont understand the UK. I mean i go on wikipedia and it says the Capital city of the uk Is London and yet people say it is not the Capital city of scotland so that would mean its not the Capital city of the uk. right?

I know scotland joined up with England to make the union so i guess it...

Source(s): london capital city scotland: https://shortly.im/jEz12
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • RR
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

London is the capital city of UK

London is also capital city of England.

Edinburgh is the capital city of Scotland

Cardiff is the capital city of wales

Belfast is the capital city of Northern Ireland

• Col
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

No need to apologise for being American - we had already gathered that from your question .

Edinburgh - Auld Reekie - Embra - is the Capital of Scotland . Scotland has a Parliament which is based in Edinburgh which is the Capital of Scotland . Wales has a Parliament based in Cardiff which is the Capital of Wales . Northern Ireland has a Parliament based in Belfast which is the Capital of Northern Ireland . Now we come to the interesting point which bamboozles most of our Colonial Cuzs .England has NO Parliament . The UK Parliament sits in London the Capital of England . It has Scottish , Welsh , Irish and even English MPS ( that means Members of Parliament ) who legislate on national matters such as defense , taxation , and overseas aid . These MPs also debate purely English matters such as health , education and housing . English MPS cannot debate or vote on matters in the Parliaments of the other three countries . Very strange ! If I was English , which I am not , I would be doing a Guy Fawkes ( check that out on Wikie ) and be arranging the equivalent of a Boston Tea Party - No Taxation without Representation etc etc. (that I believe is also mentioned in Wikie )

Trust this throws some much needed light on your wee problem !!

• 10 years ago

You Yanks are easily confused, it is simple , the UK is made up of England , Scotland , Wales and Northern Ireland and each of these countries have their own capital city, London , Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast.London is where our Government is run from , Scotland has its own Government but the money comes from London therefore London is the main capital.

• 10 years ago

The United Kingdom is: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland which consists of four nations, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The centre of government is in London, which also is the capital of England. Each country has a capital in it's own right. Edinburgh (Scotland) Cardiff (Wales) Belfast (Northern Ireland). The act of union which you mention, happened long before the creation of the UK as we now know it.

• 10 years ago

The capital of Scotland is Edinburgh. Scotland has it's own government and therefore counts as a country in some respects, but for the purposes of the United Kingdom, it comes second. Think of it how americans think of state capitals, as England has London, Scotland has Edinburgh, Wales has Cardiff and Northern Ireland has Belfast, but together they are a country, and just as Washington DC presides over the USA London presides over Britain.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

London is the capital of the UK and Scotland is part of the UK. But Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland, not London. Think of it like in the USA - the capital of the whole country is Washington DC but each state has its own capital (e.g., the capital of California is Sacramento).

• 10 years ago

do not look at wikipedia - it is hardly ever right

London is the capital of England and the UK as a whole

but the capital of Scotland is Edinburgh

Cardiff is the capital of Wales and Belfast is the the capital of Northern Ireland

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.