Phoney use of foreign versions of orchestra names?

I have noticed a very recent phenomenon - that of calling the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra the Berliner Philharmoniker. I have even heard the hallowed BBC doing it. Now, I realise, of course, that 'Berliner Philharmoniker' is what Germans call the Orchestra in German, but why have English-speaking people... show more I have noticed a very recent phenomenon - that of calling the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra the Berliner Philharmoniker. I have even heard the hallowed BBC doing it. Now, I realise, of course, that 'Berliner Philharmoniker' is what Germans call the Orchestra in German, but why have English-speaking people started to do it? Are we to now to refer to orchestras and ensembles by their name in their home language? If so, why are people not referring to (just examples) 'Het Koninklijk Concertgebouworkest' (the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra), the 'Wiener Philharmoniker' (Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra) or even the 'Российский Hациональный Oркестр' (Rossiiskiy Natsionalniy Orkestr - Russian National Orchestra)?

It smacks very loudly to me of affected pretentiousness to me. What do others think? Have you come across any similar anomalies such as this?

And what about the names of operas and other works? I know that in the USA, nearly all titles are translated into English, although some (eg 'La traviata', 'Il trovatore', 'Eine kleine Nachtmusik' remain in their native languages. How have such inconsistencies arisen, do you think?

Y!A suggested category Yahoo! Mail> Spam and Bulk mail!!
Update: Jack - thopse spelling variations are only caused because Russian names are transliterated from Cyrillic script and so will vary from language to language, according to their linguistic conventions. Even in English we can't agree (Rachmaninov, Rachmaninoff, Rakhmaninov).
Update 2: i.jones - I'm sure I could never call you 'awkward' ;-)