What to do about dog hair and a newborn baby?

So the problem is, the baby is sharing a room with us until we can move, which will be when the baby is around 4 months old. We always let our dogs sleep with us in the past, and now it seems even if we boot the dogs out, and vaccuum 100 times, there is still dog hair everywhere! Another problem is, our living room has a lot of dog hair as well, and baby won't be in our bedroom 24/7. I don't want her to be covered in dog hair all the time (like we are!) but we live in a small apartment, and it really isn't possible to keep the dogs completely away from the baby. We brush the dogs, bathe them, vaccuum, we don't know what else to do to help get rid of the hair, and keep it gone. We also have dog hair all over us, which we didn't mind before, but we do now because we will be holding our baby all the time. I need some advice from people who have dogs that shed really bad, and can't really keep them away from the baby at all times. Thanks!

• Favorite Answer

try getting the dogs groomed frequently, my parents have a small dog, with long fur and there was hair everywhere, but once she started taking him to the groomers for a trim/bath/brush then a lot of the hair went away, it'll be impossible to get rid of all the hair, animals do shed the same as humans does, its just a bit more noticeable since its a bit annoying to us. with our dog/my parents dog, we gets him groomed every 6 weeks or so, sometimes a little less during the winter and it takes care of a lot of the hair around, that and vacuum once every couple of days, even if you went 3 days it's not too much to notice compared to before. you could also get a blanket or a mat or something like that to spread out on the living room floor only when the baby is out around, and then roll/fold it back up and put it away until the next time the baby comes out to play. just keep the dogs off that blanket and you'll be able to wash it as well to remove any fur that do get on it. I'm sure you find a solution to to your problem. good luck, and congrats on the little one!

We have 2 dogs that shed and a 10 months old. I am sure he has eatin a pound of dog hair by now! He is fine. There is just nothing you can do. Dogs are kids too. Atleast our are! As your little one gets older he will be crawling all over them any way!

Unless your baby seems allergic I would not worry too much. Keep it as hair free as you can and don't worry about the rest!

Good luck!

• barsky

Dog Hair And Babies

• jlb

It sounds like you are doing the best you can. Is it possible to shave the dog?

Dog hair isn't going to harm your baby so don't freak out about it too much. As long as the house is being cleaned and the dog is getting groomed you will just have to make the best of it for now.

• Brenda

and don't let your newborn stand on his feet, he'll be bowlegged. and make sure your baby is always wearing a hat of the wind can give him brain damage. the old tales go on and on and you'll get them from all the old fuddy duddys, in parking lots, at groceries stores and unfortunately from family. my two dogs are very hairy, my baby survived.

• Nancy

Shave the dog AND the baby......you can't be too careful!!