Christians, another christian said this to me earlier, do you agree with him on this?

On another forum a christian was saying things that did not sound christian to me. At least not the way I remember it from my childhood. So he explained how he is a true christian to me. So does this sound right to you? Have things changed in christianity? Here is what he said to me: "the truth is that I no... show more On another forum a christian was saying things that did not sound christian to me. At least not the way I remember it from my childhood. So he explained how he is a true christian to me. So does this sound right to you? Have things changed in christianity? Here is what he said to me:

"the truth is that I no longer attend church, and my education is of a scientific background, so I view at least 90% of the old and new testaments to be allegory (no offense to anyone who may take it more literally that I do). I thought I explained this once long ago, but the christian faith I was brought up in is the united methodist church, an extremely liberal-minded, all-inclusive, come-as-you-are version of the christian faith. we were never once told that we would burn in hell for our sins or transgressions....not once. many in the church didn't even believe in hell. we were allowed to ask questions like 'if the bible says the earth is 7,000 years old, then how can scientists be finding dinosaur bones from millions of years ago?'....I asked that question myself when I was just a kid in sunday school, and the answer was (paraphrased) 'people didn't know about dinosaurs back then, they were just trying to answer some of life's big questions, but they didn't yet know the things that we know'. it was a very positive environment, and it promoted individual thought, not the kind of mind-control that some churches do indeed engage in.

my only point is that despite what you or others may believe, all christians are not alike. neither do they all believe the same thing. there are many free-thiinkers and intellectuals who are christians, or who at least identify with the essence of the faith. to refuse to consider that as at least a possibility is to be closed-minded. to maintain the belief that all christians are alike (ie - the fire & brimstone, you're going-to-burn-in-hell types) is to unfairly judge. "