Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 10 years ago

Is Commercialism bad for the music industry?

I'm not happy where the music is going, I'm an open-minded person but I think commercialism in music is really hurting genres. Like for instance Pop music used to be so good back in the 80's and 90's and even years before that. Nowadays we get boring Electro/Tech-House/Farty tripe from David Guetta, Steve Angello, Lady Gaga, and god knows what. I'm also seeing this trend in my favourite genre which is the Trance genre where they are not pumping out quality releases like they used to, and they over saturating the market with boring soulless stuff.

I really don't like where the trance genre is going, other genres like classical music seem to prevailing well and I get to hear quality soulful releases. Why can't they have this sort of thing for other genres?

What's your opinion on this?

• Liam
    Favorite Answer

I think classical music is safe for the rest of eternity from becoming commercialised; I think the majority of people who buy music view classical music as geeky or dull (instrumental music at least; a lot of people buy into classical vocalists such as Charlotte Chuch and who ever else followed in her footsteps).

Commercialism is great for the music industry; those artists who are made popular - thanks to their producers and backing bands - are making lots of money and their income is taxed like anyone elses, so in business terms, the industry works.

However, it does damage the variety of music that makes it's way into our record collection since bands that are loved by a minority don't get the fame or money they often deserve, and they are often forced to give up. And while commerical music is created to be enjoyed by as many people as possible, it is not being created out of simple enjoyment for music. I love to watch live bands at small venues because I love to see people play and listen to music that has been created as a simple work of art. Acts like lady Ga Ga are not musical, it's about entertainment in general. The Stone Roses are all about music, GaGa is all about something to dance or sing to at a party or night out. The proportion of Stone Roses fans that can play a few chords on a guitar will be huge compared to the proportion of Ga Ga fans who can even pluck a B string.

I suppose there are 2 sides to the music industry; popular and not-popular. It just so happens that the popular stuff over the last few decades has been about image and performance rather than music and lyrics.

Commercialism isn't bad for the industry, it gave us Elvis and The Beatles. But over the last few decades it's also given us some crap, but it's no big deal, we just have to look a little harder to find the music we like.

Here's my opinion - mainstream music, namely mainstream pop music has been shite for a long time. It was just as bad, if not worse in the 70s, 80s and 90s. I think that maybe back then it was easier for music of different genres to break through but still a lot of the big movements that happened in music were underground things. What's happened now is that the mainstream pop has merged with lot's of different genres and completely taken over but that is not to say there aren't still people in their bedrooms and in garages the world over making good music - it's just about making the effort to find them. For me, the only solution was not to listen to chart music and I find out about things myself through magazines like the NME and radio stations like 6 Music. What I'm saying is, I feel your pain but the only way to conquer it is to ignore what's popular and go for what YOU like. I like a lot of different types of music, I a bit trance here and there, some punk, some motown - whatever's good. Just buy a load of Underworld albums and ride this shite out lol.

xx

If you want to know a very good vocal coach try to visit https://tr.im/mk5O0 an online vocal coaching tutorial. Everything, ranging from breathing fundamentals, vocalizing exercises, techniques on singing high and low notes, how to not go off-key/out of tune/off-sync, musicianship and music theory, proper diction and articulation, and a lot more are covered, all in our native language. It can be quite technical in nature, but it really helps since it covers the musical aspect of singing deeply and not just concentrates on how to impress people with your vocal range, riffs and runs and other cliches that do not necessarily make one a complete vocalist.

1

Source(s): Secrets of Great Investments http://teres.info/TheTradingCode/?8rHR