Why is female the 'default' gender?

I'm no Biologist, so feel free to point out any mistakes that I make.

The 'template' for humans seems to be female, as humans start out in the womb with female features and then develop male features later, which is why males have nipples without needing them.

Why is this? Is it the same for all other animals?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Elena
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

At the very start, A females egg is XX, and when a sperm cell meets the cell, the end result can only be XX or XY.

Everyone starts out as a girl, then the testosterone is added to make a boy.

Testosterone is also present in females, which is important for example in bone growth, large amounts of testosterone added when a male or female is created, results in the development of male reproductive tissues such as the testis and prostate as well as promoting secondary sexual characteristics such as increased muscle and bone mass and hair growth.

As for why it's easier to have the default gender as female:

it's easier adding more testosterone than removing some.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

If by "gender" you mean sex, then say sex, gender and sex aren't the same. Even if a Y chromosome is present, it doesn't activate until 6 - 8 weeks of pregnancy, and it is also doesn't neccesarily turn the fetus male. In males and females, there are sex determining genes known an FoxL2 and Sox9, only one is activated at a time though. If the active gene is cancelled out, then the ovaries or testicles cease to function properly. Sex is not permanent, adult humans can change their sex if their genes are manipulated with.

For example, in a male bodied individual, if the Sox9 gene (the active gene in a male body) is switched off, the testicles will produce as much estrogen as the ovaries do. In a female bodied individual, if the FoxL2 gene is cancelled out, then the ovarian tissue will become testicular tissue.

I was born with a brain and body mismatch, so I am convinced that human embryos develop initially as female.

• 1 decade ago

It's because we have one X sex chromosome from our mothers by default, and then the father adds another X, or a Y to the mix. Possible combinations are either XX or XY. It's impossible to be YY or YX. The female's egg sets the stage for the baby, then the sperm comes and decides what sex the baby will have.

Source(s): High school biology
  • 1 decade ago

Because the Y (male) chromsome is a mutation of the original X (female) chromosome

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • apel
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

i spotted this too.... and actually, that is extraordinary thinking the very undeniable fact that we are all women folk interior the womb until a undeniable evaluate progression (it fairly is likewise reasons why adult males have nipples).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That is a good point.. I think its something to do with the xx and xy chromosones.. try googling it

• 1 decade ago

women are so hot that before they are even born they subconciously manipulate their own dna so they can have hooters, but then that pesky Y chromosome comes along and takes their dreams away by changing the baby's sex

• 1 decade ago

It's a woman's world...just ask any man!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That may be true but then foetus's also have gills so maybe it's a microcosm of the stages of evolution:

Fish, Female.............................................................. Male.

• Whizzy
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It's 'cos girls are better :P

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.