Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 9 years ago

Can Lloyds TSB Bank close my account without notice?

I was unable to make any internet payments from my Lloyds account so i rang the help number and was asked to go into my own branch with some ID. I went along with my passport and was told to hand over my debit card while he informed that my account had been closed a week ago, this was the first i knew about it. He didn't know why and handed me a leaflet with a number and an address to write to. As my account had been closed i asked for the £1,700 that was left in there and he said i couldn't have it because they would use it to pay my Lloyds TSB Mastercard, which i owe £518.36 by 13th September. I rang the number on the leaflet and nobody there knew why my account had been closed i have also written to them recorded delivery and to The Financial Ombudsman. I have had the account for more than 20 years and lived at the same address for more than 20 years!.What is going on?

We know as much as you.

• Rehema

I guess that Lloyds have introduced a 'flag' to tell them when a customer utilises their credit card in this way as, of course, they are not benefiting from what is in effect a loan, albeit short term. In your position I would visit their high street competitors and ask what their policies were. You then have a couple of options. 1) Move your account. 2) Stay with Lloyds and use a separate credit card provider. I doubt if Lloyds will backtrack on the decision. If they won't I would wave them goodbye, assuming you can find a more helpful bank.

I think you have been caught out making some fraudulent statement, albeit maybe some quite innocent fraudulent statement and a teller at the bank has decided rightly or wrongly to report you in the hope it gets him/her on the ladder upwards. I suppose it will still be under investigation and you will be hearing from them shortly. I won't wish you good luck as you may yet be guilty, ha ha.

If your marriage is in crisis, you need urgent actionand proven strategies to help save it. Don't wait a moment longer, Learn here https://tr.im/FTIs8

Did you know that the longer you leave it, the more damage you risk doing? Don't risk pushing your spouse even further away.

Save My Marriage Today is the most comprehensive and life changing course I know of that has saved thousands of marriages and reestablished love and renewed commitment. Let yours become the next success story!