Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Muslim Call to Prayer in U.S. Schools?

Do public schools provide a place for prayer for the Islamic students in the United States?

• Liz

Mark my words.. This is going to be one of the tricky ones.

The answer to your question as of right now is :

Some of them do.

It is a razor thin line that has to walked to keep the separation of church and state, AND allow the devout to practice their faith.

Does a Muslim prayer rug or foot-bath count as a religious symbol the way a cross or a Star of David would? Or is it just a rug, and some plumbing that just happens to be in a quiet place, that just happens to be open for student "quiet" time?

Personally, as an Atheist and a freaking fist in the air Church/State separationist, I'm all for it. I think That there should be a place for people to pray if they wish to do so. I'd start to have a problem just as soon as that room become Muslims (or Christians or Jews, or Whatever) only. But a room place where prayer is allowed, and has the facilities needed. Fine by me. Separation doesn't mean religion doesn't exist. It just means that it isn't state policy.

I think it would be a better world, if our kids saw things like their Muslim or Christian classmates engaged in prayer, and then going out and playing a mean game of kick-ball afterward. It would lend a people-are-people sort of atmosphere to things.

i was in high school in the 1970s. at my high school there was a Christian prayer group, started by students, and we met in an unused classroom at lunch. there were only three of us :(. as far as i know, had it been requested, a muslim prayer room would have been provided also, but there were no muslims in my high school that i know of.

I agree with Prodigal Dogstar without that theres no diffrence between us and iran(If you dont count we can tottaly own them and we have way more nukes XD)

But If requested and aproved by the states education board you could ask for a private recess and maybe a room to be alone for your religous prayers...(But you will still have to stay in school for the same amout of time so no slacking)

A kid called ahmet had the same problem feel free to contact me for more info mate

No. Nor do they provide a place for prayer for students of any other religion.

If one religions is accorded that facility , you will have to do that for all religions irrespective of the strength of the students from those religions .

• ...

Peace be upon you,

I am sure they do because muslims are everywhere so they should have a place for prayer. Inshallah

No but If they start I will demand they bring in fresh virgin blood for me to drink during lunch on a daily basis.

Religion is a private matter to be practiced (or not). That is best done in your own home or church, not a public school.

Freedom of religion includes freedom from religion.

I thought gods hear all and see all,why would they even need a place?

No, nor do they provide a place for any other religion.