What does it take to be happy?

2 Okay so I have this long train of thought I'm going to share with you. I'm looking for someone to either agree with me or try to understand my concept and explain to me why I am wrong. I'm just a 17 year old kid so something I am lacking is experience which ultimately means that I am probably... show more 2

Okay so I have this long train of thought I'm going to share with you. I'm looking for someone to either agree with me or try to understand my concept and explain to me why I am wrong. I'm just a 17 year old kid so something I am lacking is experience which ultimately means that I am probably lacking wisdom.

Okay so what does it take for a person to be happy? Well obviously a lot of things, that's not really my question. My question is do you think it is healthy to think on a deeper level? I think it depends on how deep you like to think. But overall there is a point when it can be a bad thing. The people who think deeply about the meaning of life (and those who have no religion) can easily find themselves getting depressed about the thought. The people who say "There's really no point to life" are the ones who have thought about it. Now a lot of people think about it sometimes but some people think about it more often. Well there is really no point to thinking like that. Have you ever wondered what animals think of death? I'm sure most animals don't even realize they are ever going to die. It's something they've never experienced, why would they understand it? They don't have a language or a mind complex enough to talk and think about it.

Here is my thought. People are happy because of the "reward system" in our anatomy. A lot of people think they need meaning in order for them to be happy. People who need meaning are deeper thinkers than those who don't care. People who need meaning actually make it much harder to be happy because they separate the anchor between happiness and their actions or surroundings. Someone has fun playing a video game, we'll say Halo 3. But then he starts to ask himself why he likes the game so much? After a couple months of thinking in that manner he doesn't like halo 3 anymore. Why is that? Because he realizes that it is pointless in helping him get ahead in life. Nobody really cares if he wins a game every once in a while on there. He simply realizes that it is a pointless waste of time. That's what a lot of older people think of video games nowadays. But when you really think about it, that's just another path to happiness that he took from his life.

So here's what I think is key to being happy: Not asking why it is that you are happy. But simply focusing on the present. Focus on what is happening around you and think a lot less philosophically. You only need to choose a path and take it. If you find yourself miserable, use your intelligence to fix the problem and change your path. Only think what makes you happy, not why does it make you happy.

Good lord this looks like a bunch of random trains of thought. I feel like I wasted my time typing all this up. And wasted other people's time if they decided to read it all. Oh well! You'll get over it.