Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

supersnuffy (: asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Is 6 months too early to neuter?

My mum insists that it has to be done ASAP and that it's ridiculous that we should wait for it...any answers from qualified people? our vets said 6 months is fine but I'm still not sure.

• Favourite answer

If I could do it over, I'd have waited until he was full grown or not at all even.

My only hang-up is that my mom's rescued senior males ALL every single one had testicular tumors, and too old/sick (with other issues) to go under anesthesia to remove them(neuter)

However these dogs were rescues, a dog that's given a good healthy life might not end up like they did.

Lot's of bone problems if you neuter/spay too early,before they're done growing. Also increases the risk of certain cancers, while it does obviously eliminate testicular cancer, that is not such a life threatening one as the ones neutering increases the chances for.

But all that said, if you can not keep your dog from mating and causing accidental litters, or if you're tempted to BYB, then please neuter him.

Given that a great deal of development in an animal occurs at the time of sexual maturity, and that development is largely driven by hormones produced in the gonads, it stands to reason a dog should not be neutered until he/she is sexually mature. This is generally around 2 years of age. IF the owner is responsible enough to keep the dog from reproducing until that age, it is in the best interest of the dog to wait. If the owner is not responsible enough to ensure no unwanted pregnancies occur, it is in the best interest of the dog to be neutered before the damage can be done.

When dogs are neutered early their bodies tend to mature differently. This can mean longer leg bones which can result in tendency to blow knees, or in less properly developed muscle tone, etc.

in case you plan on doing any extreme activities or exercising with him i'd wait till he finishes turning out to be. i do no longer understand if the definitive examine have been achieved or revealed yet yet from what i've got study so some distance it variety of feels to show that neutering too early can strengthen the possibility of joint issues. some examine point out that neutering in any respect will strengthen the possibility of a few cancers (for sure decreases others and thoroughly regulations out testicular as they are actually no longer around) and could reason different issues. you may weigh up on your suggestions the professionals and cons of neutering in any respect (for sure no longer neutering potential you'll be in charge on your puppy no longer procreating) yet i'd recommend waiting till he's older besides

• Dd

This is one of those hot topics where nobody seems to be able to agree. I personally believe the most reasonable and fair answer to be: it depends on the owner.

If the owner isn't responsible enough to be able to prevent their dog from breeding when it is intact, it is VITAL that said owner get their dog neutered ASAP. But if you can prevent your dog from breeding even after he reaches sexual maturity, it's been proven to be healthier to wait until the dog is fully grown before undergoing a neuter.

But don't think that if you neuter your dog early that automatically means he's doomed. It will reduce his chance of getting certain diseases to zero, but it may slightly increase his chances of getting others. This is really a personal choice, but whatever you choose to do, PLEASE make sure you do not breed your dog.

I have five kittens and I chose to get them neutered early because they stay outdoors and I knew it'd be too hard to prevent them from roaming if I waited for them to get older. Rather than risk my cats getting pregnant or impregnating someone else, I made the decision to get them neutered before they even hit sexual maturity. My biggest problem afterwards was keeping them from running around too much and messing up their stitches (they weren't even in pain!).

Opt to Adopt said:- "The earlier the better, my dog got spayed at 5 months, it helps clam dogs down, reduces aggression and helps prevent cancer."

How does spaying calm a bi**h down??? I personally do not spay until my bi**es are mature mentally and physically. As for a dog......6 months is far too young. Hormones play a big part in bone growth, and when you neuter too young, the hormones are no longer in place to stop growth. This is resulting in bones which grow too much, and the dog is more likely to have bone problems such as cruciate injuries, etc.

EDA:- Mama....it is disgusting to spay/neuter pups that young. Please read up on the problems that spaying/neutering too young can do.....behavioural and physical.

Anzie.....that's the site I was looking for! :-)

• Dogs neutered before puberty tend to have longer legs, flatter chests, and narrower skulls that intact dogs of their breeds because the hormones that regulate sexual activity also interact with hormones that guide growth of muscles, bones, and tendons. These physical differences can place more stress on joints and can cause problems for active dogs, especially those in training for agility and those that work in physically stressful jobs.

Additional drawbacks specific to spay surgery include increased incidence of bladder incontinence, triple the frequency of thyroid disease, and higher risk of some cancers, joint problems, and obesity and adverse reactions to vaccinations. *:*

In fact, six months is almost too late - ideally you want them neutered prior to reaching puberty. A six month old dog or cat is sexually mature and has the territorial thing going already. In fact, you can safely have them neutered as young as eight weeks.

No, 6 months is not too early! it is the perfect time, actually.

Your mom is right you should do it now before your dog gets another dog pregnant!

Trust the vet he knows what he is talking about. If the vet said 6mths then thats fine.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/longtermhealtheffec... Read what medical science has proven.