What is an artist study exactly?

After visiting an exhibition, I have to "produce an artist study based on two different artworks, based on the senses."

What does this mean? does the artwork have to be based on the senses, or my study?

What exactly is an artist study?

This is for my A level photography course.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks a lot :)

An artist study is simple: you study the technique, influences and styles of a given artist and then try to apply those in your own work. It's essentially glorified imitation.

For your study, I would think that the senses refer to the actual human senses (sight, sound, smell, taste and touch).

SO your solution is simple: compose your work to comment on the 5 senses while incorporating the style and influences of the two pieces you choose.

• Tim D

I read your quote as choosing and studying two artworks that are based on the senses and then producing an artist study of them – your study will naturally have to involve the senses in some way.

It is a preparatory work for a final piece of artwork. In terms of finish it comes between a sketch and a painting.

• Alisa

If you are fully committed to being an Artist you can make it. It is a hard life, and if you don't take rejection well you should think about staying in the business field. Yet, with that warning out of the way we can get to the real advice. I am a working Artist, and a Gallery Director. Many of the visual Artists that I represent started to take art seriously later in life. One of my top selling painters picked art back up in his 60's. It truly is never too late. As for an education in the visual Arts, do it. There are some negative aspects to getting a B.F.A. or M.F.A. in visual Arts, yet the positives out weigh them. If you totally immerse yourself in the studio work and fellow students you will gain a lot from school. Essentially, try Art now before you get too afraid of failure and too set in a career. It is better to be poor and passionate when you are 20 than when you are 45.